VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

mk3 golf ROTTED OUT!!!

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  projektoettinger 
#1 ·
just spent 2 weekends repairing my mates 1996 golf gti, it failed the mot on rust, couldn't believe my eyes when i looked at it. there was a 4 inch hole in the near side front foot well, and 2 slightly smaller holes in each passenger wells right near the fuel pipes. As well as this it needed about 2 ft of new steel put along the sills in various places (both sides, inner and outer). How it got an mot last year I don't know?
Almost enough to make me give up welding and get an office job lol.

Anyone else had this much trouble with a mk3?

#2 ·
Yep mk3's are quite bad for corrosion surprisingly! Worse if they have the plastic sill covers on,done plenty of welding on plenty of mk3's that look a million dollars on the top side but lurking beneath there as rotten as a young ford! Was really shocked when i first discovered just how bad they corrode not like modern VW's at all! shame really must have been sold a dodgy batch of steel.

#5 ·
Mine too.

I had a mk 3 vr6 a few years back and that started to show rust at about 5 years old.

Its kind of a worry knowing that there are now some mk3 vr6's that are 16 years old :eek:

170 bhp for about £1000 with structural corrosion, doesnt bear thinking about.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.