VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Golf GT TDI turbo problem

15K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  AJC Conversions 
#1 ·
I know this is a T4 forum but i thought id see if anyone has any idea whats up with my golf (privalidged to own a T4 and a golf :) )

Whilst driving today i experienced a sudden lack of power and thick smoke out the exhaust

On close inspection i couldnt see anything wrong so set off again and still smoke, lack of power and a hissing / swooshing (abit like a rubbish dump valve)

Again on close inspection the large pipe top left of the engine bay wasnt into its socket properly, alot of oil was present and i pushed it back in, but the clip system doesnt seam to hold it in properly

Im not sure if this is the problem or just a coincidence

Could this be the problem?

Does anyine know what said pipe is and would this non tight fit cause the problem, it sounds logical as air would escape but why the black smoke from exhaust

Any ideas or information would be fantastic

See less See more
#2 ·
the reason you would have lots of black smoke would be due to excess fuel, because a boost pipe has come off there would not have been enough oxygen for the fuel to burn. Black smoke is generally unburnt fuel.
The wooshing you would be hearing would be the turbo trying to give max boost but because of the pipe slighty off the boost would have been escaping to atmosphere!

Hope this makes sense!!

#7 ·
What Tonic said............... split pipe or pipe popped of easy fix........ find the turbo then follw the pipe work from the turbo through the intercooler to the inlet manifold check each pipe closely hopefully it will be blindingly obvious...........

#10 ·
If fixed the same fault last week on a friends 130bhp golf.

Intercooler pipe come of on underside of drivers side.

Popped it back in and been fine since. These pipe ends are not the best IMO.

Check the pipe for 2 little lugs sticking out which the clip should sit on. They seem to break.

It will be there some where, check for a smear of oil to help you locate it.

T:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.