VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Fitting rear seats...mot? Insurance difficults?

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dsm 
#1 ·
Hi,
I've bought some factory rear seats, and plan on fitting them ASAP. They will be fitted with the original mushroom bolts, the only modification will be that I need to weld in a upper seat belt mounting/captive nut. Before I ring my insurance company, I just thought I'd ask how other people had got on? Would I need to change the v5? Do I need an engineers report? I want to be straight with my insurers as I want everyone travelling with me to be covered.
Any help would be great.
Cheers, Max

#4 ·
You would have to update your v5 to state that you are now able to carry more people in the van, although its not a big issue. Just. Fill in and send off. As for the MOT the seats would be checked like any other for how secure they are, the seatbelt condition etc. again as long as fitted well not a problem. The insurance for your van could increase as you are now able to carry more people but that depends on the company I would think.

Hope this helps T:

#5 ·
I did exactly the same, adding 2 rear seats in my panel van, insurance company were fine (extra £50) and dvla changed the V5 to panel van with windows and to a 4 seater. You may be asked for 'certification' which proves that the seats where fitted iaw current safety standards; I got a 'letter of comfort' which basically means that an approved installer has checked my seats and is happy the way they were fitted; I've got a mate in the business which helps. T:

#9 ·
The MOT will check the safety of the belts as standard, they would also visually check the seats however, they won't drop the exhaust and heat shield to make sure your spreader plates are right :* I think the process is called M Certification but I'm happy to be proven wrong I:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.