VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

T4 Engine/Electrical problems

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  flat4fanatic 
#1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi heres another head scratcher.
I have a "w" reg Caravelle 2.4 tdi with an automatic gearbox.

A couple of months ago while starting the 'mare, she cut out after about running for a second.
This has been intermittant and not a real problem.

Two weeks ago I was turning right at a junction and she cut out, luckily I coasted to a stop.

This week end it has happened about 5 times, even stranger is when the indicator is on, the dash indicator will
flash for about 5 to 6 seconds then goes haywire, then stops and then the engine stops.

When the engine is stopped then the indicators run normally.

Any ideas as I dont know if I shuld find an auto electrician or a mechanic?

See less See more
#2 ·
UPDATE
Even more confusing!!

I had a look at the 'mare just, and checked all the fuses, relays etc.
I found fuse 15 missing.
Funny I thought, must of fallen out as engine electronics are pretty important to getting
the van running.
So, got spare fuse put it in and hey presto! no start at all, just turn over.
Took the fuse out, started the van straight away, tried the indicators for 10 minutes
and every thing fine. I even went for a run around the block signalling furiously and no
stalling.

Whats that all about?

I would be really greatful for any advice.

#3 ·
Can we be sure about your van model? You say 2.4tdi, if it's a tdi it will be a 2.5, the 2.4 doesn't have a turbo. If it is 2.5tdi then fuse 15 is for the ECU and should be in place. Do you have a relay 109 in position 3 on the fuse box? This would be my first thing to swap. Has the wiring been hacked about and modified?

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys,

First of all its a 2.5tdi Doh!

I checked the loom and seems ok nothing obvious, the only thing that has been "hacked" is what looks like a drivers door replacement,they have cut all the wires and soldered them back together. I have checked them and they seem to be well insulated.
Im thinking that someone has had a problem at sometime and must of diverted or done something to the feed to the ecu,
(fuse no 15) as its not in place and when I replaced it it may have reset the ecu? early days yet I suppose.
Im also thinking that the only way to resolve this is by paying alot of money to someone who has time and knowledge.

Any comments?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.