VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Dashboard remove light scratches - How To

51K views 37 replies 35 participants last post by  Windymiller47 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been a little annoyed with a few light scratches that are on my dashboard/glovebox, this plastic seems to scratch really easily.
During this period of ownership I have been thinking of ways to cover up these annoying little scratches, such as flocking, painting and other methods.

The easiest thing to do first of all was replace the glovebox door, so I thought if I am to replace this, I might as well try and suss out a way of repairing it first as I have nothing to lose on this part as it can easily be replaced.

So I got out my trusty gas soldering iron and turned it in to a mini blow torch by removing the tip, (Weller WP3EU around £30, amazing little iron, I use it daily and heats up really quickly. Also has 3 tips including a hotknife for plastics). This iron is designed to work as a mini blow torch, not all will do this.

I lit the iron and set the flame to the lowest setting, I started off holding the iron about 4 inches back and swept it lightly over the scratched areas, some disappeared straight away!, those that didn't go straight away I gave them a light sweep over and tried going a little closer, don't hold it too long as you will melt/burn the plastic!!!, then I rubbed my finger over lightly and they disappeared T:.

I did my whole dash and it's made a massive difference, especially the recess on the top of the dash above the glovebox, the plastic had gone a little marked/faded in some areas.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I did my whole dash and it's made a massive difference, especially the recess on the top of the dash above the glovebox, the plastic had gone a little marked/faded in some areas.
What a fantastic tip!!! A:

Out of interest... what on EARTH make you think you should try it?

#9 ·
ARGH the secret is out LOL: That takes me back to my stereo fitting days when i slipped a few times fitting stereos and phone kits, Another tip was if it didn't fix it then a quick two fingered poke in the customers eyes as we showed them their new kit and hurried them away was the next best thing :eek:

#19 ·
Top Tips Guys..:ILU:

Will be giving it a go when shes back from the workshop having a nice shiny new DMF/ clutch fitted..:eek:

I need lots of cheap tricks like this now i've got an empty bank balance.:(

#29 ·
We used this method on monitor cases at samsung when I worked there as a techy years ago, erm this was probably frowned upon by the company,but the way we did it was to very lightly heat the plastic scratch or dent simply with the flame of a cigarette lighter been careful not to burn or discolor the plastic and then just as its cooling use a normal pencil eraser to dull the finish otherwise you find the plastic though back to original shape is shiny...I think I need a fire for my dashboard though as it looks like a chopping board !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.