VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

T5 Turbo gone bang!!!

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  parafanaylya 
#1 ·
Morning, hope somebody can help...

We have a 2006 1.9TDi 104 T5 with a lowly 76,000 on the clock and the turbo disintegrated yesterday...my local garage stripped all "bits" out and the feed and return pipes are gunged up with oil etc.

My question is, has anybody got any idea's how the pipes may have got blocked??????

From reading other posts here, all the normal things like power loss etc were non existant, i.e. no power loss or for that matter normal mode all the time, started him and then drove down the road, pulled away from a roundabout, heard a little bang and the the engine started whistling, thought it may be a turbo pipe loose or split.

The turbo itself both sides, the steel and ceramic vanes disintegrated!!!!!

I am at a loss how this has happened and would like to know your views...

Thank you

Lewi

See less See more
#4 ·
Let the engine idle to allow the turbo to spin down. Killing the engine straight away from a speed or laboured drive stops the oil feed to the turbo causing oil starvation. Some jap performance cars have turbo timers fitted to automatically stop the engine after 30 secs or so when the ignition is stopped.

#6 ·
AIUI stopping the engine immediately after a fast run causes the remaining oil in the turbo bearings to carbonize due to extreme heat. Sitting there with the engine running for a while allows a flow of oil through the turbo to assist in cooling it down.

It doesn't stop the passengers asking me what I'm doing just sitting there with the engine idling EVERY TIME we pull up after a journey.

You'd think they'd have got the idea by now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.