VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

vw lt35

13K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  T4 VIRGIN-1 
#1 ·
hi all, me and her in doors is looking for a bigger camper van as we feel that the t4 hightop is a bit on the small side. after owning and converting my t4 panel to what it is now with the grp high top, which i have got to admit that it has been a great experiance which we have enjoyed doing all the conversion work ourselves with the help and info generated by this great site, we need to upgrade, and what better than to stay on the vw scene, we are looking for a lt35 mwb hightop. anyone have any info they can pass this way regaurding engines, internal sizes, what to look out for etc.any help much appreciated.

#2 ·
Hi degzie
Many moons ago I had an LT28 left hand drive. It was a semi hi top. It was huge (and one of the smallest LTs made). My mate had a LT35 high roof. Brilliant sized van.
I suggest you take one (or a couple) for a long drive as there are a couple of minor niggles compared with T4s.
The engine cover is between the front seats which can be a bit noisey and hot in the summer. The 6 cylinder deisel engine is great but depending on the gearing is not quick. Mine would do 50 mph up a 4 in 1 hill and 50mph along a straight motorway.

My wife and I have considered another (love a 4X4 version) for the room, great for long travels, but parking it could be fun.
Anyway good luck and post some pics.

#3 ·
the lt's aint bad vans,not sure what engine sizes they are i think our obnes at work are 2.5 tdi(silver tdi badge) 5 cylinder,they go alright,and seem to be quite economical,they are very basic though compared to other vans,and as they are basically a mercedes sprinter they can rust badly as well,my father in law has a 2000 y reg tdi,and its rotten,and i've seen loads more, some newer with rust issues.
personally if i was going for a bigger van i'd have a transit,i've had 4 and couldn,t really fault them

#4 ·
hi guys thanks for the info, wanted to keep with the vw scene, just that the van is too small, mind if i could cut the t4 down the middle and add an extra foot to widen it i'd be well pleased, after doing all the work over the last year or so it'll be a shame to see it go.

#5 ·
I've slowly been working my way through the VW's started with a Bay then a T25, many T4's and then a T5 but now have a LT35 LWB high roof and it's mint. Big and fast! I've slowly been converting it into a camper and soon it will be finished, well the inside anyway.

Yes they do rust i wouldn't say rot as it's all just surface rust but they can look a tad shabby.

They aren't as nice to drive as the T4's but being able to stand up and get dressed is a big plus.

If you decide that the LT is the future hold out for aircon and electric window's etc as not having the little luxurys does eat away at you but doing a 100mph all the way to bugjam is nice.

Any questions just contact me.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.