VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

T5 side awning???

8K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  gary217 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me some suggestions on where i can get a side awning for my van without spending £400+ on a Fiamma F45

CheersT:

#3 ·
i've just bought one of those sun awnings from funkyleisure along with their T5 awning rail and some sections of figure-of-8 channel...

the whole shooting match (including a pack of clingons) was £124.00 and turned up 24hrs after ordering.

the awning rail was only £35.00 and screws straight down using the 4-bolts already located in the cutter... takes about 1 minute to fit!

haven't tried the awning yet (i went for red btw), but will have a play with that later.

#11 ·
I've got a potential problem with my Fiamma F45 (which we love incidentally) in that it's hard to use one with a retro fitted Austop pop top so may have to flea bay it and look for an alternative.

A couple of quick questions about the Khyam sun canopy please;
- how do the poles stay up - are they on guy ropes?
- is it waterproof? (That's one great aspect of the Fiamma - when it rains it's totally waterproof).

It's a great price though! Might make a profit on something for the first time since I bought the van I:

#12 ·
Here are a few photos of the khyam sun canopy fitted to my T5.
If you fit it to an awning rail like I have, then its about 9 inches too long, but it works fine. If you were to fit it to a Reimo mutirail then it pretty much fits in all the way....obviously a LWB van will be no problem at all.
We have cut /shaped and drilled some awning rails to fit SWB T5's and will be taking a few to Dubs at the Castle £80 with the awning / rail / fitting kit.
Unfortunately due to postage difficulties, these are collection only.

The awning comes with 3 poles, pegs and guy ropes. You can take out / add pole sections to vary the height.

#13 ·
I have a Kyham Drive away awning (T300 Compact) on order for my T5 with rail.
I understand there are two main options for fixing the "tunnel"
fig 8 and Pole and Clamp
Kyham supply a pole and clamp kit at about £30, I have looked at this and wondered if anybody had used a 16mm pole and the clamps currently on e bay fpr about £4 for a pair.
I would apreciate some advice please.

#15 ·
Thanks - I like the F35 idea; but the canopies also look good so at least it gives us a choice. I've e-mailed my fitter re the F35 option to see if he thinks that would work ok as it looks fine to me.

Looks like I'll be flea baying the F45 then and either a F35 (might get close to break even?) or a sun canopy plus multirail (might make a small profit..?).

Thanks for all the help! Will let you know which way we go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.