VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

New slip ring=permanent horn...(

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  steve padda 
#1 ·
Hiya,

I had the usual grinding noise and occasional horn going off so I got a new slip ring from VW today. After fitting it and replacing the steering wheel the horn is now on permanently! There is some wear on the copper tab that forms part of the indicator stalk and connects with the steering wheel slip ring but I dont see how this can make the horn now be permanently on.

Anyone had this and/or got a solution please? Its beginning to cheese me off.:*
Cheers
Jamie

#2 ·
Well I had a fresh look today took everything off and replaced it again. Now I'm back to square one as both the new and old slip rings make the horn go off when the steering is turned. Mainly when turning right. At least it's not going off all the time. Checked for loose connections and there wasn't any. The new ring sets the horn off more easily but I guess that's down to it being in better condition and making a better contact. I'm at a loss now and have resorted to taking the horn fuse out til I work out what's wrong.
Anyone any ideas now?

#4 ·
Hmmm that's interesting. Having looked again at mine one of the screws is missing completely which makes me think there's been an issue before and someone's had a play before I got the van. Having checked the forum I've seen a post that says there should be a nylon washer on the steering rack spindle below the steering wheel. There isn't one on mine, so I guess I need to find out if there should be...(
cheers
jamie

#5 ·
Finally got spare timeto look at this & touch wood it's solved. Took off the steering wheel & switches and tapped the lock washer above the spring a few times. This has had the desire effect of raising the rack slightly so the horn doesn't now sound unless I want it to. The only trouble I had was levering the rack from near the pedals as mentioned on another thread. Seemed impossible to get in. Itsworking anyway so I'll see how it goes.
Regards
jamie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.