VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

oil additives... stp, slick 50 etc

6K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  jim4472 
#1 ·
Does anyone use/recommend any type of oil additive to give added protection ?

#3 ·
I use it in my 174...engine and box.

#5 ·
Just started using it as the engine gear train has been noisy and it has quietened down. The gearbox is also quieter but can't remember what I used. When I am down the garage I will look to see what it was, the engine is part stripped at the moment with cam follower problems and let by on the valves. This is caused by the last bloke who built the engine as when the number 5 exhaust valve seat fell out and smashed to bits a bit the followers didn't get changed. This was the noise and not the gear train as first thought.:)

#6 ·
Sounds pricey .... hope you get it all sorted ok .

I'm thinking of using an oil additive as I think I might be getting the dreaded cam lobe wear .... the rattle/noise is very feint at the mo so was wondering
If the use of an additive might just put the inevitable off a bit as I don't do much mileage ( 2-3k a year )

#9 ·
I found the bottle and its made by lucus. Its suitable for gearbox, pas and engine. I have it my gearbox already and it has quietened down, the engine on the other hand I can't comment yet as its still in bits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.