VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

what mpg to expect?

92K views 88 replies 75 participants last post by  Fraseb01 
#1 ·
hi as title says what mpg could i expect from a 1.9td i hear the 2.5 is better for economy
any coments ect would be greatly apriciated on any mode or cc
thanks
andy

ps will probably also be running on wvo if i can find a source in my area

#28 ·
just got a 2.5 tdi, 02 plate.

bought it with an empty tank, running on fumes.

put £30 in, £1.059 a litre.

currently on 250 miles and i reckon there's another 20 in there.

just driving to work and back on country roads. no motorways.

so, by my calculations it's over 40mpg.

A - is that right?
B - if so, that is amazing.

#35 ·
Hi peeps just got back from touring Scotland did 48 miles short of 2000 miles and used not quiet 3 tank fulls as i still have 150 or so left in the tank .Best tankfull 750 miles yep 750!!! :D chuffed as hell .Ok its only a 1.9D but Awen will cruise at 70 but i do keep it down to 65 not the fastest in the world but i am looking forward to Europe next year.
ant wait to get her resprayed as i think she deserves it. Love her to bits.

#38 ·
I Will Cheer you 1.9D boys up. I have a 2.4D AAB fitted with an aftermarket turbo From TB of Lancaster in my LWB Reimo Camper. I average 23-24 Mpg:(:(:(. If you think that is bad When I tow my Folding Camper I get 18:eek::eek::eek: MPG.Has any one else have similar horror stories? Just to put into perspective I can not get from Buckinghamshire to Cornwall on one tank of Fuel.

#40 ·
I think I'm going to have to look at what I've got under the bonnet. I got my 1997 1.9TD 800 Special with 221k on the clock a couple of weeks ago and didn't really drive it anywhere till yesterday. I thought as I had over 100 miles round trip it would be a good time to see what it would get. These are my figures which sound a little unlikely but my maths seems to be OK.

I filled the tank to the brim before I started. I drove 108.5 miles round trip mostly on motorways but not being at all careful of economy. I kept getting a heavy right foot and having to slow back down to the limit (I was keeping up rather than driving like I should ;)) I was running totally empty for this run.
At the end of my journey I refilled to the brim and only got 10 litres in (it was even the same pump I used and kept trying to force more in).
This equates to 10.8 miles per litre or 49 miles per gallon.

I'll keep an eye on it and report back if the figures change much but I'm pretty happy so far A:

All I can think of for the high figures is that the guy I bought it from has done something like getting it tuned at some point which is still working well for me. Are there any easy to see signs of this having been done?

#44 ·
All I can think of for the high figures is that the guy I bought it from has done something like getting it tuned at some point which is still working well for me. Are there any easy to see signs of this having been done?
You can vent the tank and get an extra 5 + litres of fuel in, so I'd expect you did use more than 10 litres you just had more air in the tank when you refuelled. Also what size tyres are you running, if they are small diameter than standard then you aren't going as far as you think.

I'd measure it over a few tankfulls to get an accurate measurement.

#46 ·
Checked mine this week (2006 2.5tdi T30 130 + remap) - over 2 long runs;

1st run - About 65-70mph, mainly motorway - 40.6mpg average

2nd run - Roughly 70-80mph motorway plus a lot of A road overtaking etc - 38.5mpg

Only carrying mountain bikes so not got much weight in. Pretty pleased with that really!

#47 ·
1.9tdi, full tank 621 miles till the light came on BUT I would be a bit cautious with the WVO, with my last van (1.9 non turbo) I was using WVO & in the summer it was fine but soon as the weather got cold I would have big problems starting the engine, turns out the wvo solidifies in the cold & clogged up the injectors...

In my experience I found Not all wvo had been filtered well & to the same standard (down to 1 micron) & differs from place to place.. BEWARE

#50 ·
Hello Everyone.

I get about 33 mpg out of my 2.4, with a lot of weight on board. No not me the luggage and the conversion. LOL:

The amazing thing I find is that the higher the mile's go the smoother she go's and the more miles I get out of the tank. When I first got my Bus, 6 years ago, I was getting adout 400 miles before the red light came on. Now I usualy get about 500 miles, even though my bus is close to 222000 miles. T:

John.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.