VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Vans being taken without keys

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  xaz2999 
#1 ·
Hi all I am new to the forum and own a 2013 Highline kombi, a few week ago my van was broken into through the drivers door, they caused lots of damage and managed to open the van all the windows and switch the alarm off through a easy process. what I found strange is that they took nothing and it didn't even seem like they looked around the van, the sat nav was still in the door pocket, a bit of change still in the ashtray and a box of bicycle parts in the rear, after asking around I have found out that there is a gang going round taking vans without the keys, first they break in and connect a computer to read all the info from the ecu and immo, then once they have all the info they leave it a few weeks and return with a cut key programmed to the immo open the van and take it. I don't now if this is true but it seem to make sense, I have done all I can to not allow them to take it even if they have a key, hopefully I'm wrong but has anybody had the same thing happen to them?

#2 ·
Good heads up.

Round my area some newish prestige German cars were nicked.

A young fella in the motor trade said it was probably a previous owner(s) who had programmed a key prior to selling the vehicle.

Hard to beat a good visual deterrent like a Disklok or a chain and padlock.

#3 ·
last year a BMW that parks next to mine went missing in the night, apparently some of them are easy to take without the keys our t5's are a lot harder but they can still do it with the correct equipment. I'm off to get another alarm fitted tomorrow that isn't so easy to switch off. I worked as a VW technician for 8 years so my van is sat there was all sorts of things removed so they can't get in or get it started and blocked in with my car so if they do can back they may think twice"hopefully"

#4 ·
There was talk about this before. The OBD port is permanently live, so a mod is to alter the power with a relay triggered from a switched live. They use the OBD port to access the info supposedly.

Im planing a permanently installed OBD to USB adapter with a Y splitter so its a mod I was planning anyway.

#6 ·
At the moment I have taken the OBD port from its location and tucked it up behind the panel, good idea killing the power with a relay/switch setup may also do this for the fuel pump and starter circuits. Rumour was the vans was being sent abroad and the gang are eastern European, no wonder so many are not found. good old steering lock on it as well now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.