VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Abs warning light

8K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  r6eck 
#1 ·
HI all.

New to this site.
We have a 1.9 t5 on a 58 plate.
Suddenly yesterday got the red exlamation mark light [handbrake] abs warning light and asr traction control warning lights come on, along with severing bings in my ear.
After making sure there were no leaks and brakes were working I carried carefully on my way.
Then noticed that everytime I go round a corner or brake the low fuel warning started binging and the light came on, fuel guage leaping around with the slosh of the fuel from full to empty.
Now this morning it all seems well.
I took it down to a local VW / Audi dealer who put it on a computer and tells me that the ABS control module may be on its way out, but that it seems ok at the moment.
Does anyone have any experiance of this problem and or know how much this is going to cost to fix?
Any help much appreciated.
Regards

#4 ·
I've just replaced the front offside suspension coil spring on my 1.9 T5 after which the ABS warning light and triangle warning light have appeared. I did have to remove. and later reconnect, the electrical connection which attaches to the hub ( I'm assuming this is for the ABS ) and it may have been strained when removing the suspension strut - I disconnected the battery to see if the warning lights will reset but but no luck.
I'm fairly certain that the problem is with the connection so I'll investigate this before empying my bank a/c.

#5 ·
Hi i have the same problem it stated about two weeks ago and it seems to be a common problem after taking van to garage i have sent the ecu and pump away to get tested and i am waiting for them to get back to me to see if its that whats faulty and can it be repaired .Have a look on there website ecutesting.com

#6 ·
Hi all just wanted to say that i have van back and its all been sorted it was ecu and pump lucky for me that it was repairable so back on the road after 3 weeks since it all started.I have to thank other members on this site for the information that is supplied on various posts and recommending ecu testing .com

Many ThanksT:

#8 ·
ok i bought my van 6 weeks ago and when i got it there was this fault and the abs unit was defo nackered
with blown ecu after changing the ecu the lights went off for a couple a weeks this came back on again
stuck the car on vag com and got a front wheel sensor and after looking close at the wiring it was joined a
few times also looked as if it was shorting out so my guess is this is what fried the abs unit
but when you said brake light flashing also i would check this wiring out
first step get it scanned and see what error codes you get

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.