Old 12-09-08, 19:43
Van Jedi

Default Re: DPF Filter

the 2008 Audi's now have the dpf after the cat, the idea being that once the cat is up to temp it will keep the dpf hotter too. Diesels (especially VAG versions) run very cool and due to the peak torque being very low in the revs you find most drivers never get them hot enough to suit the dpf regen criteria. Only time will tell if moving the dpf backwards will help with all the current issues.

The VAG 2.0tdi 170ps ppd cars are undergoing many ecu software updates to cure all sorts of dpf related issues but luckily its not so severe on the VW van range.

My own personal experience with a 130 T5 with dpf is good, no problems in 27k but I do vary the driving style and distances quite a lot. If you are a courier or trader with only local work then best buy an older van without dpf. I know that UPS, TNT, etc with big fleets of MB and VW vans (sprinters and Crafters) have complained a lot about the amount of time vehicles are off the road because of dpf issues.

I know a lot of exhaust manufacturers are also talking about bypass pipes but its not that simple, there are pressure sensors and the ecu software looking for the dpf to be working properly, a bypass pipe will leave you with an engine check light on and possibly limited power (limp mode)
Old 12-09-08, 19:45
Van Jedi

if the petrol equivelant is a cat then maybe we should call the dpf a dog ; )
Old 12-09-08, 20:02
Van Expert

Mine has been into VW today, had a years worth of updates applied, and ecu put back to factory standard so at least I have a starting point to get this sorted.

As I pulled out of the garage, regen again! Not as bad as with map, but still there. Took the mechanic out, but it wasn't too bad apart from the odd jerk and lack of power etc. I will keep an eye on it over the next couple of thousand miles and see how it performs.

I still have a feeling that something is not right, but it's just getting to the bottom of it that's the problem.

I can only preseme it is a regen and not some other intermitent fault...
Old 16-09-08, 19:53
Van Jedi

Could be as simple as an exhaust pressure sensor failure or the egt sensor maybe, not exactly uncommon problems on the 2.5's
Old 16-09-08, 21:29
Lord of the T4s
I Support Cancer Research UKI Support Children In Need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarli View Post
Could be as simple as an exhaust pressure sensor failure or the egt sensor maybe, not exactly uncommon problems on the 2.5's
had one of them within a week of getting the van replaced under warrenty

[I][B]BLACK VANS ROCK T:so do black cars and black horsebox's:cool:[/B][/I]
Old 16-09-08, 21:44
Van Expert

Wouldn't this throw a fault code though?

I've booked it in again for next week so VW can work their magic on it...maybe...
Old 17-09-08, 22:03
Van Jedi

egt sensor gives a check light but not always the case with the pressure sensors
Old 02-10-08, 23:50
Van Expert

My van has been into VW again today for them to look at. Their attitude seems to be that if the computer says its ok then there's nothing they can do. It drives ok 90% of the time, its just when it has its moments. Because its "intermitent" they say I need to take it in when it's doing it. I can see their point, but it doesn't help me get it sorted.

I'm a bit stumped as where to go from here...any ideas?
Old 02-04-09, 08:44
Lord of the T4s
I Support Cancer Research UKI Support Children In Need

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryroasted View Post
My van has been into VW again today for them to look at. Their attitude seems to be that if the computer says its ok then there's nothing they can do. It drives ok 90% of the time, its just when it has its moments. Because its "intermitent" they say I need to take it in when it's doing it. I can see their point, but it doesn't help me get it sorted.

I'm a bit stumped as where to go from here...any ideas?
any update ? did you get it remapped again ?

[I][B]BLACK VANS ROCK T:so do black cars and black horsebox's:cool:[/B][/I]
Old 02-04-09, 11:44
Lord of the T4s
Official MemberVW Transporter

When Regen is active your injection is very late, ie post combustion and unburnt fuel is being thrown down the exhaust. This burns late in the combustion chamber and continues burning in the exhaust/dpf to add the required heat to clear the DPF. If you simply remove the DPF and leave the ECU software standard IE Regen can still occur, you would be throwing a lot of heat into your exhaust which is not designed for this. Potentially this heat build up could warm your van more than you would like
If youre getting remapped and have a DPF fitted i would make sure that the remap does account for regen. If your remap simply adds more fuel volume throughout you could be putting too much fuel into the DPF when regen is active..
best of luck..