VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Disappearing Pictures

13K views 156 replies 48 participants last post by  landie 
#1 ·
In the past week I have found, on my iPad so Safari, that images in the forum at first appear but then disappear from the page :confused:.

#5 ·
Clearly some kind of issue between the forum software (vBulletin and or any add ons) and iOS and Apple sure as hell aren't going to modify iOS.

My guess would be that some security addition in the latest iOS is causing it?

#7 ·
Deffo iOS related rather than the browser.

With iPad connected to iMac by cable and looking at the page (just the image itself) from iPad in Developer it is all correct but iPad says the "connection was lost".

Has to be something security blocking the image URL or css?

#9 ·
I'm now getting the same problem with pictures disappearing as soon as you scroll down the page, but on an iMac and the iPad is working fine :*

When I saw this post yesterday (using the iMac), I noticed that recently added photos weren't showing up in links, although you could see them by right-clicking on the link to open them in a new tab. This morning, any photos in links are disappearing in both old and new threads.

I then had a look at the same links with the iPad and found they were working as they should. When I first went to the site, I got a pop-up from the forum suggesting I used the TapTalk app, but I ignored that and carried onto the 'normal' site.

Time for an email to admin I think…

#11 ·
Yes I've been getting stray Taptalk messages and even an ad despite being a paid up forum member.

I don't use / never have used / don't ever intend using Taptalk.

Forum admins / owners get this sorted :mad:

#14 ·
Mine's running 10.12.4 as well so it's something to do with that update as the iMac I use at work (running 10.10.5) is fine with all photos loading as they should. I have been in touch with Admin about it but, as they haven't got a Mac running the latest system, they can't see what the problem is. I got another email from them last night asking if I'd tried clearing the browser cache & cookies to see if that sorts it out. I haven't had a chance to yet, but will tonight or tomorrow, so I'll let you know if it changes anything.

#17 ·
Actually since I logged out and in on my iMac I can see everyone else's pics not my own.

This is getting ridiculous and annoying - it needs fixing :bhd

#18 ·
Well I've just tried clearing the cache and cookies and it's made no difference :(

One thing I have found is that it seems to be a problem with photos that are hosted by the forum. If someone has used Photobucket, the photos display as normal. One thread that really shows this up is the 20" wheels thread where there's a mixture of hosted photos and all the forum hosted pics disappear as soon as you scroll down the page:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=194473&page=2

The problem seems to be happening on both OS and iOS. Version 10.12.4 in the case of OS 10 and version 10.3.1 in the case of iOS as far as I can make out.

Van Blanc - What versions of the operating system are your iMac and iPad running?

Druggedonions - In your first post, you say all pages are ok using Chrome. Do you get all pictures showing when using that?

I have emailed Admin with my findings (and given them the link to this thread), so hopefully they can find out what part of the Apple update(s) has caused this…

#20 ·
Mine are all latest;

OSX 10.12.4 with Safari 10.1 and iOS 10.3.1 inc Safari.

I noticed yet again that when I logged out on iPad I got Taptalk message. Clearly there is something underhand going on trying to sell us Taptalk.

Don't know about where it occurs. I can see some forum hosted albums OK but not mine. Images on mine appear and then disappear.

#23 ·
So without any support from the owners techie admins I have had a look in more detail. Safari Developer shows me that in each case the image resulted in "Failed to load resource: The network connection was lost." Google offers a few similar results and the problem seems consistent with these;

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...load-resource-the-network-connection-was-lost

https://github.com/woocommerce/woocommerce/issues/7176

Without knowing what kicked the problem off or why and what the, presumably virtual, server instance is I can't see where the configuration needs adjusting but it looks like a simple enough Jobe for the techie admin.

The question one should perhaps ask is why if someone has done any kind of update wasn't it tested in all common browsers both PC and mobile?

#24 ·
Hey Guys,

Can the users who are experiencing this problem let me know specific device information, if using Tapatalk what version they have and what iOS/OS please? In relation to why admins haven't replied to this thread, if the thread isn't in a section we monitor like the community to vs section or sent using contact us at the bottom of the screen then unfortunately we wont see it. Thanks alot for ye're help and sorry for any inconvenience.

Niall

#27 ·
Copied/Quoted from this thread
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1228233

Hi,
May be it is just me but whenever I view a picture on this forum the picture displays briefly then disappears so all I can see is a little box with a question mark
This has only started happening recently

any ideas how to fix this - I have a Mac

Thanks in advance
Steve
Very similar symptom but I am on android and get a little square with a cloud and green bill with blue sky in it Very small!!
Also some ok s get the ? In a large square??????
Same android... little square & windows 10 nothing showing

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

#29 · (Edited)
I have a response from admin techie. They see the problem on several of their sites and looking for the solution.

Keep posting to this thread because they are watching it for more / any info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.