VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

camp sites

16K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Microbus 
#1 ·
can any one recommend any good irish campsites that are t4 plus tent friendly with good facilities .... looking to stay at home this year but am not sure where to go...

thanks in advance
T:

#3 ·
There are loads of good sites north & south, Its realy up to you what you want to do & what you want to be near, such as the coast, town or countryside...As for me I like the coast, in Portrush all the sites are clean & well equiped & Van friendly, In the south Iv been in many good sites, Stranhill is a small surf village near Sligo with a small camp site & couple of good friendly bars, Salthill out side Galway is full of good campsites within walking distance of the town, which has a lot of shops, bars & food outlets of all types....As for being van friendly Iv never had a problem & I use sites & do some wilding & have never had any problems anywhere in Ireland....

#4 ·
Cheers both of you's , kids will be with me 12 yo boy 7yo girl and infant will be about 8 months when we are going , we done haven in Blackpool and Ayre the last two years so would like somewhere with activities for the kids like swimming football carting , canoeing etc don't mind if in country or coast ... I used to go to Achill island when I was younger with my patents so I wouldn'tind heading that way ....

#6 ·
In the north, I can recommend places like:

Jordanstown Loughshore Caravan Park
https://newtownabbey.campstead.com/

Watertop Open Farm, Ballycastle
http://www.watertopfarm.co.uk/

Kinnego Marina Caravan Park, Oxford Island, Lurgan
http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/Kinnego-Marina-Caravan-Park-Lurgan-Craigavon-P7544

Star of the Sea Caravan Park, Bundoran
http://www.staroftheseacaravanpark.com
This one is right near the beach inside Bundoran. I used it last year for the Sea Sessions festival.

/M

#12 ·
Watertop open farm review ..

Well we arrived on site around 4pm ish and was back home in Belfast for 11pm....
I should have listened to William as he was right about the midgies ... Now I don't mind a few flies but the place was swarming with them id even go as saying the place was plagued with them and they got in every where ... I managed to get bit on my legs around 300 times ... Bit in the face, hands , neck , ears... The wee man was bit from head to toe , we tried to persevere , we had our dinner and went for a walk but there was even more midgies there on our return , nappy changing wasn't fun or pleasant either so come 9.30 pm enuff was enuff ... Emergency camp dismantlement activated... On the road home by 10 ...

Don't get me wrong the idea of the place is good some nice touches with cafe, animals to look, walks , park ,boating etc ... But alas I won't be back ... Will be phoning tomorrow for a refund :)

#15 · (Edited)
Sorry you had that experience on your first visit ........never been myself ..have thought about trying that place ..wife n kids would freak lol maybe return when it gets a bit colder ........4 season maggot style.!!!!!!
........them NI midges take no prisoners hey I tell ya !!!!!!!!!

Trying out jordanstown caravan park on Friday and Saturday night fingers crossed its better than last week :)
Sounds good this one T: will be Useing this location to try out our new awning T:
Looks good n the pics and they seem to be busy at the mo A:

#14 ·
Hi Muddy fox, Jordanstown Loughshore can be noisey as its so close to the main Carrickfergus to Belfast road. A good clean toilet block and excellent playground will be sure to please though.

If you want to go somewhere with plenty of outdoors activities for kids check out Castleward, Delamont, Carnfunock or KIlbroney park.

We have 4 children and have been to all of the above this year. Top of the list has to be Castleward with trails and walks, duck pond, playbarn, 2 adventure playgrounds, canoe hire, coffee shop and stately home. Its close to strangford village for supplies and take away and only 15 min drive from Downpatrick which has Asda, Funky monkeys and the cinema should it rain.

Be mindful of the council and forestry run sites as they seem to attract other folk who may not strictly be holiday makers. kilbroney, Castlewellan and Tollymore were awash with folk that could have done you a great cash deal on some tarmacking or a bunches of lucky heather if you know what i mean.

PSNI and Group 4 did regular patrols of Tollymore campsite and while i love the park, trails and mournes, I would not be in a hurry back there.

We too got eat to bits by the Midges. We got some respite by burning citronella candles and using a spray called Smidge which we got from Cotswolds.

Happy trails:)

#18 ·
Glad you enjoyed Loughshore Muddy. we are down in Delamont park from yesterday. It's less than half full!? Hard to fathom given the Mediterranean climate at the mo????

WiFi is good and the adventure playground has been epic for our kids. I still can't work out why this place isn't bunghed to the rafters?

#20 ·
Yes have to agree with delamont T: cracking spot

Did a one nigther at loughshore ....key code entry I liked T: facility's spot on with free wifi ..cafe at entrance , or a five minute walk to whiteabbey village T: few eateries , chippy , Chinese oh and a Maud's T: overall not a bad spot With large play park ....good view of Belfast lough ....just to noisy for us though...traffic never stopped :(
Oh and our dog had its own lamppost LOL:

#19 ·
#27 ·
Just did a trip around cork and kerry and stayed in two sites.

Wave crest caravan park in co kerry. The site is built into the cliffs and offers fantastic views of the atlantic, clean facilities and everything you need. I would recommend to anyone.

Then in cork we stayed on an even better site, Garrettstown house holiday park. Loads of stuff to do on the site and close to kinsale which is a great town to visit, cant recommend highly enough.

Have to agree with the other posts that strandhill is well worth a visit ( I do live their though)

#29 ·
Lough shore in Antrim is a great site. Stayed there a wile back and am gona book in next month. Staff are great, secure site. Everything you need within walking distance and plenty going on. I have two small kids and with a park near buy and activities at the weekend there's plenty too do.

#30 ·
Just stayed for a night at Camac Valley near Dublin, camacvalley.ie

Usual stuff like hook-up and it's near the M50. Steady road noise but not too bad.

Bus to Dublin Centre is 3.3 Euros but a sightseeing bus leaves at 09:30 and it is 2 euro (each way).

Green Isle Hotel is six minutes walk away. Carvery every night and a discount card from Camac Valley gets 10% off.

I forgot to use mine and wasted 2.5 Euros. Boo hoo!

#31 ·
Any Suggestions for a site up the North coast at all? Looking to head up for a few weekends surfing with the kids. Not too worried about stuff to do, we'll be at the beach most of the time, just looking a quiet site without a load of party animals if you know what I mean.

#32 ·
My local carpet man, (four-berth motorhome), stays at Applegeen services near Dublin for nuffink.

Safe, secure parking. Just hard standing of course and no hook up.

They're also at Templepatrick and a new one off the M1 near Lisburn. Might get to stay there too but Dublin one maybe useful for early ferry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.