VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

New LT project!

26K views 124 replies 12 participants last post by  Alexhoc 
#1 ·
Today is a little bit of a historic day for me, I've wanted a T4 since I was about 16, had a couple of cheaper vans over the years, could never afford a good van... Then as I got older and wanted to do more things I decided a T4 wouldn't be big enough... and near enough 20 years later I have bought an LT!

It's an LT35 158 LWB, bog standard van at the moment, 190k miles but one previous owner who bought it 11 years ago for his plumbing business, and with FSH, so I know it's been well maintained (or rather, I hope it has!). No dents or rust to speak of, only a couple of little bits to sort and a huge job to get it clean. All in all I think it's been a good purchase. There is a bit of a noise/vibration that increases with speed, apparently not always there, which I'll have to investigate. Apparently VW couldn't find anything wrong and "they all do it, sir". Not sure I believe that one but as the engine feels good, I still thought it was too good to miss.

I have big plans for this, I keep thinking about what I want to do and I will put up a list in the next couple of days, but overall it's going to be a 2 berth camper, with full cooking facilities, fridge, toilet, and bed over garage (for the motorbike(s)). Swivel captain seats up front, with a table and a double seat facing forwards.

I will "modernise" it a fair bit, with things like central locking, electric windows, Android head unit, and if possible cruise control.

On the outside it will be off-roady, with big tyres, spotlamps, roof rack, etc. I will add windows on the first panel either side, and if possible respray it something other than white.

I don't have a huge budget, but as the van was cheap I have about £3k to play with for a good conversion, I want to build something that will make it into a really nice van.

I will add some photos once I take some in the daylight. I have been looking forward to building a van for so long and have had great enjoyment reading everybody else's threads, so I will keep this one updated as I go.

See less See more
#125 ·
How time passes quickly when there is no work to do on the van! Well, there is work to do, I just haven't done it! I've spent a lot of time making a list of things to do in my head, and trying to stop myself ripping the conversion out and starting again. There have been changes though! Small things still on the list are electric windows and mirrors, central locking, and cab blinds. I'll probably end up with some graphics on the side too.

The reason for wanting a big change is that I would quite like a garage for the bike, sealed from the rest of the van, so I can keep all my stuff in there without encroaching on the living space. That means a smaller living space and a fixed bed though, which in turns means a higher roof as the bed needs to be high enough to fit the bike! Maybe one day. All these changes, I'd have been better off starting with a different van, but I can't get rid of it now that I've gone that far!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.