VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

T4 Newbie Buyers Guide.

22K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  JIMMYJAMES 
#1 · (Edited)
My appologies if this has been done before but here goes!

A bit of buying advice for the newbie’s who are just starting out based on fact from being involved on the forum about the engine variants of the VW T4. I own a 1994 1.9td Caravelle so will try not to be biased but a cannot guarantee this as I love the 1.9td. Servicing record is desirable and regular Cam belt, tensioner, and water pump changes are essential as damage is catastrophic if it fails. This job is expensive to do so be sure to bargain with the seller if it needs to be done.

=========================================================

Bodywork Overview –

Check door shuts, wheel arches and windscreen pillars which are the most common places for rust otherwise they are fairly solid. Be aware of colour differences and accident damage that has been covered up. Private vans are the best at a premium and builders vans are usually cosmetically challenged but this is normally reflected in the price.

Engine options and basic overview as follows:-

1.9 D – The basic one without a turbo. Good, dependable and economical but slow and not tuneable.

1.9TD – The best one (really I’m not biased)! Dependable and economical as the basic one and highly tuneable for the average mechanic using guides on here. Non ECU engine so any old timer can work on it without any problems. All in all the most cost effective to run and maintain.

2.4 D – Similar in performance to the stock 1.9td but not tuneable like the 1.9td. Dependable and economical 5 cylinder engine some have been known to have head problems other than that a good engine and good value.

2.5 TDI 88bhp - The most desirable one due to the engine being a modern ECU engine and more powerful. Negatives are the complexity of the engine and electronics which can fail and the cost of purchasing. Tuneable but at the cost of remapping and changing injectors etc. Relatively easy to convert to 102bhp by fitting a top mounted intercooler but a reliable 150bhp is within reach with some tuning which explains why it is popular.

2.5TDI 102bhp - As above fitted with top mounted intercooler.

High mileage vans are not a problem if correctly serviced.

For full details of the model range from day one go here http://domain1648967.sites.fasthosts.com/showthread.php?t=7540

There are 2.0 2.5 and VR6 petrol’s about but I have no knowledge of them in day to day driving and running costs etc so I will await a reply from someone more knowledgeable and paste it into the guide along with any other useful additions.

Hope this helps all you new and potential T4’ers! Mods, it might be helpful to make this sticky in the welcome section as we get asked for guides a lot.

Jimmy.

See less See more
#7 ·
:eek: Thats a lot of information. Not much point me writing much more about the subject as between the two threads it is more than covered. I will paste the link into the top, thanks Reimoboy:ILU:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.