Notices

Old 13-03-15, 13:53
Van Master Jedi

Default Re: Autotrader Scam

Had something like this when looking for a van. Found a T5 Sportsline on gumtree for 4500. Immediately i thought it was too cheap.

Emailed the person who got back to me.

Apparently it was a woman who had just lost her husband and needed to sell it quickly to avoid losing their house. I was to pay the amount to her via paypal, who would hold the money. She would then arrange for it to be delivered to me. If i wanted it, id sign saying i was happy and she'd get the money released.

If i didnt like the van, i signed saying so and i got the money back and the van would be returned to her.

We all know this is BS.

Before this, I said I wanted to go see the van and i would pay cash in hand. She said I couldnt go see it as someone had already took cash on collection and apparently they were fake notes. I asked how she knew they were fake notes and i heard nothing more.

This was a woman in Scotland.

Be careful guys/gals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-15, 12:14
Van Pro

Similar scam recently with cheap t5's on auto trader, story was they took it home to Iceland after working a contract in uk blah blah, difficult to make road legal in Iceland blah blah money sent via applepay..... Low and behold I received two emails from the same person, worded exactly the same about two different vans #thickasthieves
Old 30-06-15, 19:53
Van Man

I think there are 3 on Autotrader right now, I got all excited but then common sense kicked in.. A nice T5 for less than 5k - in my dreams..

Old 19-07-15, 09:51
Van Pro

Going to see a van next week and hope all goes well for me, but all need to be on our guard.

Stick together
Old 19-07-15, 16:19
Van Guru

Smile Re: Autotrader Scam

one is on ebay now, def scam, email is Lucy@btmedia.co.uk
ebay item number , all please report, 231623000185
Old 19-07-15, 21:05
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

^^^ Other than the cheap price, what makes that one a scam? I believe you but can't see much wrong.

1998 2.4d swb greeeeen camper
Old 13-10-15, 13:47
Van Man

I've seen a few odd scams like this on ebay, autotrader and gumtree and they often seem to have the contact details (either phone number or email) in a picture, rather than in the normal links you'd expect. A very very obvious scam, but some people must fall for it, otherwise why would they bother?

Most recently I saw one on gumtree, a 2013 T5 with 29k miles for 5995. I emailed to ask if they meant 25995 (and I'd still have been interested at that price) but was told nope, 5995 and a load of and bull to go with it (already with a shipper, send me cash by paypal now but I won't take it until you're happy with the van, etc). A simple google of the spec and it was obvious they'd nicked the whole add, pics and all, from a genuine trade website.

The name given was 'Kate Brandy' kate68b@gmx.co.uk
Old 03-03-16, 17:11
Van Man

There is something odd going on at present, I've been looking for a T5 since before Christmas. A Shuttle with 25k keeps appearing at 3200 less than half of it's value. The adverts only appear for very brief periods, sometimes only a few hours. I did get an email from him saying it was in Scotland and offering to deliver anywhere at his cost etc, there was also a military aspect to this one, sounds similar to those mentioned.
Old 03-03-16, 17:24
Lord of the T4s
Official MemberVW Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy10 View Post
Harsh as it may seem..anyone handing money over for a Vehicle without seeing it [especially 'too good to be true'] has only themselves to blame if they lose their money...there are so many of these [well advertised] scams going on now that you would think people would be extra careful with their 'hard earned'
You saved me writing the same thing delboy. It does seem harsh but has greed taken over common sense!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in