Notices

Old 03-12-15, 12:41
Van Pro

Default Re: Carbon Monoxide

I got a monoxide detector from Homebase, about 15. Battery powered and fixed it to the rear rear trim outta the way. Test it at the start of every trip to be sure batteries OK.

2 Kids so taking no chance on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-03-16, 12:27
Van Man

Thumbs up Re: Carbon Monoxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_alan View Post
Hi All

I just wanted to remind you all of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning if you have gas appliances in your van. I am writing about this because a guy I used to surf with was found dead in his van on sunday morning. There is no official cause yet but it may well have been carbon monoxide poisoning. CO detectors are pretty cheap and easily available, I will be fitting one in my van (if I ever manage to find one!)

Once again sorry to have to raise this not very nice issue but who knows, it could save a life eh?

Al
Plumb Centre or any good gas and plumbing suppliers will stock audible C02 detectors
Old 21-03-16, 12:39
Van Man

Thumbs up Re: Carbon Monoxide

I meant to say I am a Gas Safe registered Plumbing and Heating Engineer, I can't express this enough ''VENTILATION''. And remember LPG is a heavy gas that will fall as low as it can if a leak is present, You might not even smell it until it's to late ''VENTILATION''. C02 WILL KILL YOU ''VENTILATION'' And remember Ventilation !

Old 21-03-16, 13:04
Van Jedi

It's astonishing that people will spend thousands modifying and converting their van and not fit a detecter as well as drop vents to ALL compartments ...
Old 28-03-16, 18:58
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle stand View Post
C02 WILL KILL YOU
Not wanting to be pedantic - OK, wanting to be pedantic - CO2 is produced by a gas burning appliance when there is complete combustion, ie it is working correctly. It will only kill you by suffocation. CO will poison you, in quantities smaller than you'd imagine.

It always amazes me how many gas "engineers" get CO and CO2 muddled up... Absolutely correct on ventilation though, that's the main thing.
Old 22-05-16, 20:40
Van Master Jedi

T4 Post Icon Re: Carbon Monoxide

Ther are quite a few of us gas engineers on the forum, i cant say it any simpler, GET AN ALARM. Or turn of the gas , when you connect the gas bottle if your van buy yourself some thing caleed ldf from a plumbers shop, it'll save your life, spray it on the joints if it bubbles tighten things up, if it still leaks and bubbles, get a gas safe engineer lesiure qualified to sort it for you, most of the van converters are not gas qualified
Old 22-05-16, 21:10
T5 2.5TDi LWB CamperShuttle
Official TraderVW Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb59 View Post
Ther are quite a few of us gas engineers on the forum, i cant say it any simpler, GET AN ALARM. Or turn of the gas , when you connect the gas bottle if your van buy yourself some thing caleed ldf from a plumbers shop, it'll save your life, spray it on the joints if it bubbles tighten things up, if it still leaks and bubbles, get a gas safe engineer lesiure qualified to sort it for you, most of the van converters are not gas qualified
Best location for the alarm? Low? High, should be away from Hob?
I have a CO alarm but not sure of the best location in the confined limits of a campervan

Radio Fitting Kits HERE
My T5 Shuttle Build Thread
Old 14-06-16, 16:06
Van Guru

Generally high up, as CO will rise on thermal currents. Follow the (principles of) the instructions it comes with. The ones I fit in mobile homes specify above the height of doors and windows, but at least 100mm from the ceiling, and 3 linear metres from the appliance. Probably won't all be possible in a van.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in