Notices

Old 12-11-16, 21:39
Van Rookie

Default LT 35 falling into limp mode

Hello from Canada.

I have an 2001 LT 35 Dokka Kipper with 2.5l i5 80kW (109 PW) {AVR} diesel and 145K kms on the odometer.

The truck had been sitting for a week - since my trip to put a new battery in it last Friday. Today, I jumped in, it started as normal and off I went. About six blocks later the engine stopped responding to the fuel feed, RPMs pegged to ~1200 and after about 30 - 45 seconds the glow plug indicator started to pulsate.

I presume this is limp mode on the 2.5 .... due to the similarity in behaviour to VWs past.

I pulled over, shut off the truck; restarted it a couple of minutes later and all was fine ... for two block, then it went into limp mode again. I nursed it back home (it fell into limp one more time). Restarted it and it idled fine for 20 minutes ... once warm I started down the block and it limped again.

Information on LT is pretty scarce overhear - I have yet to secure a copy of the VAG shop manual. We did have another variation of 2.5l TDi over here in the Eurovan, so there are some similarities.

I have checked the MAF plug and it seems to be dry, not corroded, and secure ... best I could tell in the dark. I'm going to go out tomorrow and check connections, grounds, vacuum hoses, etc ... all the stuff I can do w/o full diagnostics or a shop manual.

Does the LT have an OBDII /EOBDII bus? The connector in the driver's footwell is not the conventional OBDII connector with which I am accustomed. Is there an list of codes available on-line?

Can anyone here point me to the common causes for the 2.5l on the LT to drop vehicle to drop into limp mode?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-11-16, 07:29
Electrifying!!!
Official TraderVW Transporter

Default Re: LT 35 falling into limp mode

For the OBD connector you will need the VW/Mercedes converter lead. Check the alternator output first. If this low it can cause this problem. Also check the clutch switches.

Electrics for camper vans and work vehicles.
www.travelvolts.net

INFO Text call back to 07971 165747 or travelvolts@gmail.com
NO PRIVATE MESSAGES PLEASE!
Old 13-11-16, 15:38
Van Rookie

I took it for a drive this morning and all was fine until I was backing into my drive ... it then slipped into limp mode. Disconnecting the MAF did not make a change. I tested the brakes and the brake switch and it is fine. I'll look for the clutch switches this afternoon.

It's time to replace both air filters and I had ordered new ones before this limp issue started. If I can find specs on the MAF sensor, I'll measure it while the truck is running.

I think I found an OBDII/EOBD to Merc conversion cable.

Old 14-11-16, 07:43
Electrifying!!!
Official TraderVW Transporter

I have one that you can have for half price if you want it.

Electrics for camper vans and work vehicles.
www.travelvolts.net

INFO Text call back to 07971 165747 or travelvolts@gmail.com
NO PRIVATE MESSAGES PLEASE!
Old 15-11-16, 17:14
Van Rookie

A small update.

No limp mode in the past two days. Clutch and brake switches seem OK (without the specs on the switches, I cannot say for certain). The turbo (GT2052V) seems fine - vanes move with little resistance, actuator appears to be functioning ... which is reassuring as taking the turbo off to clean appears as though it may be awkward.

My adaptor cable (OBDII to Merc) is on its way, once it is hear I'll fire-up VAGCom and go looking for clues.
Old 16-11-16, 19:44
Van Rookie

Another small update:

Today the LT slipped into limp mode 5 times ... three of those when first starting off.
The difference today ... it is pouring rain ... so I will set aside some time to clean, dry and apply dielectric to the connectors under the bonnet. If I am lucky, an intermittent short with a wet connector is precipitating limp mode.

The heavy air today could also be triggering an issue with the turbo ... though it seems to be responding - perhaps with a little lag (I'm still new enough to the LT to not fully appreciate how the turbo is suppose to behave). I also find the turbo hard to hear - compared to VWs past (mostly cars). I may end-up decoupling the exhaust side to have a look at the internals to see if it warrants the pain of pulling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in