Notices

Old 17-11-16, 07:38
Van Guru

Default LT wheels and tyres

Not a question thread, but maybe a bit of info for anyone who wants to fit 16" steels to their van and larger tyres for a bit better cruising speeds.

Firstly I appreciate that this isn't for everyone and I have carried this out to gain a better choice of tyres which has helped me up the gearing by increasing rolling radius. I have been messing around with different wheels/tyres on all sorts of cars for about 15 years and have a slightly sad wheel and tyre addiction..
I cannot afford or am yet to find some 16 alloys second hand and I was a bit dubious about going down the touraeg route with lower profile 17/18s, so pursued this route.

I can sort some proper pics out later if anyone is remotely interested, but general gist is:-

16" renault master (and equivalent, maybe movano?) wheels are 5 x 130 PCD.
The offset is good
The Centre bore is slightly too big, but this can be overcome with spigot rings meant for alloy wheels and a bit of fun with a hacksaw/grinder. SPIGOT RINGS - 84.1 - 89.1 set of 4 5 off ebay for a set.
They can be bought brand new for about 40 a wheel.

Having tried a few tyres sizes I now run larger tyres on the back than the front.
The front arches have a lot less clearance than the rear.

Rear tyres that will fit are 205 80 16 (a good land rover size) and 235 75 16 (also a good LR/ 4x4 size) are similar radius but slightly wider.
The fronts are 225 65 16 which is a fairly common modern van size.

Yes this does look slightly odd to a trained eye, but not too much like a dragster!
And to overcome the different sizes, I now carry another standard 15 spare, so if I have a puncture I just change both wheels on an axle.

IMG_20160904_154107_1280 by stanstorey, on Flickr
The gain for all this effort has been:-
- about 400-500rpm drop at cruising speeds and the van generally feels a bit happier on longer runs...
- I get to run a slightly more aggressive tyre as tyres options are better, which helps me greatly in the devon countryside!
- I didn't have to pay to have my manky old 15 steels refurbed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-11-16, 18:42
Van Guru

Default Re: LT wheels and tyres

Hi, looking to do the same. What year of Renault Master / Movano wheels did you get? How come you've had to cut the spigot rings - or did I read that wrong? Thanks
Old 24-11-16, 10:28
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4-RDY View Post
Hi, looking to do the same. What year of Renault Master / Movano wheels did you get? How come you've had to cut the spigot rings - or did I read that wrong? Thanks
Fairly modern Master. Steels where bought from oponeo.

The spigots are designed for alloys which have a taper on the back. Steels don't have this taper and this tapered bit of spigot stops the steel from sitting flush with the hub.

Old 25-11-16, 21:13
Van Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeynuts View Post
Not a question thread, but maybe a bit of info for anyone who wants to fit 16" steels to their van and larger tyres for a bit better cruising speeds.

Firstly I appreciate that this isn't for everyone and I have carried this out to gain a better choice of tyres which has helped me up the gearing by increasing rolling radius. I have been messing around with different wheels/tyres on all sorts of cars for about 15 years and have a slightly sad wheel and tyre addiction..
I cannot afford or am yet to find some 16 alloys second hand and I was a bit dubious about going down the touraeg route with lower profile 17/18s, so pursued this route.

I can sort some proper pics out later if anyone is remotely interested, but general gist is:-

16" renault master (and equivalent, maybe movano?) wheels are 5 x 130 PCD.
The offset is good
The Centre bore is slightly too big, but this can be overcome with spigot rings meant for alloy wheels and a bit of fun with a hacksaw/grinder. SPIGOT RINGS - 84.1 - 89.1 set of 4 5 off ebay for a set.
They can be bought brand new for about 40 a wheel.

Having tried a few tyres sizes I now run larger tyres on the back than the front.
The front arches have a lot less clearance than the rear.

Rear tyres that will fit are 205 80 16 (a good land rover size) and 235 75 16 (also a good LR/ 4x4 size) are similar radius but slightly wider.
The fronts are 225 65 16 which is a fairly common modern van size.

Yes this does look slightly odd to a trained eye, but not too much like a dragster!
And to overcome the different sizes, I now carry another standard 15 spare, so if I have a puncture I just change both wheels on an axle.

IMG_20160904_154107_1280 by stanstorey, on Flickr
The gain for all this effort has been:-
- about 400-500rpm drop at cruising speeds and the van generally feels a bit happier on longer runs...
- I get to run a slightly more aggressive tyre as tyres options are better, which helps me greatly in the devon countryside!
- I didn't have to pay to have my manky old 15 steels refurbed!
hello , this is really great post thank you very much for your time invested, 1 question I live in france and the use of different sized tyres is a no no , is there a reason why I cant fit 225/65/16 on the front and rear, yours gratefully rikki
Old 27-11-16, 07:41
Van Guru

not at all - 225 65 16 all round would be great.
I just wanted the largest tyres i could on the rear to raise the gearing and therefore lower the RPM at cruising speeds. All in the hope to save a bit of fuel and make longer journeys a bit more relaxed.

I also have quite a few 205 80 16 tyres from various land rovers floating around!
Old 27-11-16, 11:44
Van Rookie

Hi there

Has there been any change to your speedo calibration?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Old 27-11-16, 15:05
Van Expert

he please forgive me for all questions but like you I like to improve , so the 205/80/16 are the tallest , and will they fit the front aswell, I havens started paintwork yet so if arches need an adjustment that's no problem , as you id like taller and wider if possible,
regards rikki
Old 27-11-16, 19:18
Van Guru

There isn't a huge amount of clearance in the front arch when on lock...I wouldn't like to run a 205 80 16 on the front as I think the arch would be destroyed quite quickly.
If you can flare them out or reduce them neatly then ideal!
Old 28-11-16, 11:42
Van Expert

ok mate , understand maybe some !carlos fandango wheel arch kits!, as in the old days , thanks very much rikki

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in