Notices

Old 14-04-11, 05:36
Lord of the T4s
I Support Cancer Research UK

Default Re: Decode Your Chassis Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrytree View Post
After checking my chassis number on the van and then on the log book, the log book has it as a WV2, but on the van it is a WV1 the rest is the same....

Does anyone having any clues as to whether this may cause a problem? Just discovered it and I'm a bit puzzled..

Thanks in advance
By rights now that you have discovered the mistake you should write off to the DVLA and ask them to change the V5 - VW wrote to all T4 owners about 8 years ago when this discrepancy was discovered, so you are not alone. That's when I took the opportunity to change my 800 Special van's V5 to motorcaravan...

Also, lots of personally imported VW's, Audi's and Porsches have the ZZZ's of their chassis numbers logged as 222's...

As to any problems this may cause for you - it depends on what model do you own, and is it modified/converted to a camper, and how old is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-04-11, 22:20
Van Expert

Hiya Thanks for your reply..

Its a 1200 2.4D LWB Panel Van R-reg only had it a year :-S I was going to convert it and was starting to get my act together to get some quotes on bodywork and a respray..

Log book says leisure vehicle, chassis plate says not.. are there any forseeable problems that you are aware of?

Thanks

Jayne
Old 18-04-11, 19:40
Lord of the T4s

Quote:
Hiya Thanks for your reply..

Its a 1200 2.4D LWB Panel Van R-reg only had it a year :-S I was going to convert it and was starting to get my act together to get some quotes on bodywork and a respray..

Log book says leisure vehicle, chassis plate says not.. are there any forseeable problems that you are aware of?

Thanks

Jayne
Leisure Vehicle may not mean Motor Caravan - probably means Day Van...

Unfortunately the definition of Motor Caravan is quite specific for the rereg - unless you convert it to a full camper, you won't be able to reregister, so there will be no point in the down plate, so the van will be subject to the 100 daily LEZ charge...

Old 30-09-11, 19:33
Van Man

Please can anyone tell me how to find out what group my 888 special x-pack 2003 sits in as I cant find the info on the van? There are 8 groups and I need to no mine so I can determine the correct wheel alignment specifications, cheers in advance and ive already looked on A-piller and not there. I do have the sticker on the bottom of fuse box but cant work out the group?
Old 04-10-11, 17:12
Lord of the T4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by strident View Post
Please can anyone tell me how to find out what group my 888 special x-pack 2003 sits in as I cant find the info on the van? There are 8 groups and I need to no mine so I can determine the correct wheel alignment specifications, cheers in advance and ive already looked on A-piller and not there. I do have the sticker on the bottom of fuse box but cant work out the group?
If you are looking for the suspension production (PR) code it will be on the data sheet...

OJ1 = reduced payload (800 and 888 Specials) and lowered suspension
OJ2 = standard payload (1000kg)
OJ3 = increased payload (1200kg)

These production codes will refer to spring weights, torsion bar and antiroll bar thickness, but by now most suppliers will only sell
heavy duty 1200kg rear springs or quality lowering springs, due to their tendancy to break.

800's and 888's have the thinnest front antiroll bar and no rear roll bar, whilst some 1000's, 1200's and Caravelles came with a rear roll bar fitted. However, the factory rear springs for OJ1 and OJ2 vans are the same, but 1000kg vans have a thicker front antiroll bar.

However, if your van is lowered beyond factory spec then there are no values for setting the wheel alignment, so you're probably best to start with all four wheels aligned at the OJ1 spec, and go from there. By the way, having the tyre pressures spot on will make any alignment check more accurate.

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"][B]If only nitrogen dioxide was laughing gas:D[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 17-10-11, 16:01
Van Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenTazz View Post
If you are looking for the suspension production (PR) code it will be on the data sheet...

OJ1 = reduced payload (800 and 888 Specials) and lowered suspension
OJ2 = standard payload (1000kg)
OJ3 = increased payload (1200kg)

These production codes will refer to spring weights, torsion bar and antiroll bar thickness, but by now most suppliers will only sell
heavy duty 1200kg rear springs or quality lowering springs, due to their tendancy to break.

800's and 888's have the thinnest front antiroll bar and no rear roll bar, whilst some 1000's, 1200's and Caravelles came with a rear roll bar fitted. However, the factory rear springs for OJ1 and OJ2 vans are the same, but 1000kg vans have a thicker front antiroll bar.

However, if your van is lowered beyond factory spec then there are no values for setting the wheel alignment, so you're probably best to start with all four wheels aligned at the OJ1 spec, and go from there. By the way, having the tyre pressures spot on will make any alignment check more accurate.
Thanks for the reply but I think we are talking about different things, see below
Old 17-10-11, 16:03
Van Man

Note the DATA sticker bit above, this is what is missing on my van and I need it to determine which of the 8 groups it sits in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is sending me crazy, not even VW technical can help me, some must be able to help please
Old 27-10-11, 16:33
Van Jedi

Quote:
After checking my chassis number on the van and then on the log book, the log book has it as a WV2, but on the van it is a WV1 the rest is the same....

Does anyone having any clues as to whether this may cause a problem? Just discovered it and I'm a bit puzzled..

Thanks in advance
Got a letter today from the dvla barbecue my mot inspector put the wrong number in now they are querying it but when i checked mine is the same as yours log book says wv2 van says wv1. Even got the original service book and the letters correspond so not to worried. Just wondered what you did or what i should expect from them
Old 27-10-11, 16:37
Van Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenTazz View Post
By rights now that you have discovered the mistake you should write off to the DVLA and ask them to change the V5 - VW wrote to all T4 owners about 8 years ago when this discrepancy was discovered, so you are not alone. That's when I took the opportunity to change my 800 Special van's V5 to motorcaravan...

Also, lots of personally imported VW's, Audi's and Porsches have the ZZZ's of their chassis numbers logged as 222's...

As to any problems this may cause for you - it depends on what model do you own, and is it modified/converted to a camper, and how old is it?
I had a letter asking why my mot inspector put in the wrong number but when i checked mine says vw1 and logbook says vw2 but i replied with the correct number and that i have converted it just wondered what you went through when it came to light?
Old 28-10-11, 19:47
Lord of the T4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbuzzers View Post
I had a letter asking why my mot inspector put in the wrong number but when i checked mine says vw1 and logbook says vw2 but i replied with the correct number and that i have converted it just wondered what you went through when it came to light?
Just send off the V5 (keep a copy) with the correct chassis number details, and the conversion, together with a covering letter.

The DVLA should send back a new V5 duly amended.

They are currently sending out new V5's for Multivan and 7/8 seater Caravelles reclassifying them as MPV's, which makes them LEZ compliant.

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"][B]If only nitrogen dioxide was laughing gas:D[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited by StephenTazz; 28-10-11 at 19:51.

Tags
buyers guide, decode, ordering parts, vital statistics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in