Notices

Old 22-12-16, 19:03
Van Guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: New LT project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by traversd View Post
I guess any white LWB with Side Windows is gonna be similar

4 Weeks ? That's tight ! Proper going at it ! Although if you are on a time limit then it was right not to try and make your units from scratch. That took an absolute age for me...for each unit !

The wheels are still on it, it was a tyre change that went through. The only fitment 'issue' was the need to trim the front bumper down with a stanley knife to allow full lock in both directions. But I knew that before fitting.

I absolutely loved the look of the chunky tyres but didn't feel that happy with the feel at motorway speeds. Have since found out that the shocks probably want replacing on mine.
That's good to know, I guess I'll have to try it and see what they feel like on my van when they are finally on!

Yes they are similar, but since we have the same van, same windows, etc (even down to the badges!), it's quite striking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-12-16, 19:17
Van Guru

I'm a little bit miffed with the van at the moment, I put it in the garage for a service on Tuesday, and on taking the sump plug out they stripped the threads. Apparently it started stripping as soon as they turned it and it had already been fixed, so not the original plug.

Due to that they couldn't finish it Tuesday. Turns out they couldn't fix it Wednesday either as they couldn't source some tool orr part for it. I know they want to fit a 22mm plug now and need to tap the sump, however they can't do that until the new year for some reason! Not impressed.

On the positive side they managed to bodge something on so I could drive the van home and work on it, and I'll drive it back there next year.

Anyway, I've now finished the overhead cupboard. The lighting isn't ideal for pictures but you can see the 6x9 speakers I fitted, there are cutouts to route wiring from the A pillars and I have left access holes in the sides for the speakers and other electricals I'll hides either side. I'll cover the front with a veneer to match the rest of the furniture when it's delivered and I might also put a door on the front.

Oh and you can see the start of the cubbyhole I'm building underneath that too, at the moment it's just a shelf but I will add some backing to it, lights, carpet, etc.

I've also fitted the vinyl flooring, it makes the van so much tidier! I still need to trim it here and there and fix it down, and to find all the little trims I need for the steps and thresholds.

All the sides panels are cut, they were test fitted but they are now in the shed being carpeted. I hop to carpet all the exposed metalwork and all the panels tomorrow, so by saturday morning all I'll have to worry about is fitting the equipment and furniture.
Old 23-12-16, 11:48
Van Guru

Change of plan! I received an email from Ikea today saying that my delivery due on 29th is now scheduled for Tuesday 3rd due to stock availability. Not sure why they couldn't tell me that when I ordered but hey... I ring the Customer Service team for more info, it's 1 40x40 door panel that is holding the delivery up. That's it, everything else is in stock. Oh and guess what? Their "system" won't allow them to part deliver, change the item for one in stock or even cancel the item and deliver the rest!

Bottom line, I've cancelled the order and I'll build the kitchen out of plywood, at least it'll definitely be to my spec. Now I just have to source hinges, catches, drawer runners, and edge trim, all over the Christmas period! Happy days. Oh and I'll have to find a way to make the plywood look decent, maybe I'll paint it with a nice gloss paint.

Oh, and to top it off, Ikea's refund system takes 7 to 10 days to refund my card. I like Ikea furniture but I think I'll stick to picking things up in store from now on!
Old 23-12-16, 12:02
Van Master Jedi

T5 Post Icon Re: New LT project!

Alex I've got catches hinges and knock in trim and a contact for some furniture board in Durham pm me if you get stuck pal
Old 23-12-16, 12:56
Van Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexhoc View Post
Change of plan! I received an email from Ikea today saying that my delivery due on 29th is now scheduled for Tuesday 3rd due to stock availability. Not sure why they couldn't tell me that when I ordered but hey... I ring the Customer Service team for more info, it's 1 40x40 door panel that is holding the delivery up. That's it, everything else is in stock. Oh and guess what? Their "system" won't allow them to part deliver, change the item for one in stock or even cancel the item and deliver the rest!

Bottom line, I've cancelled the order and I'll build the kitchen out of plywood, at least it'll definitely be to my spec. Now I just have to source hinges, catches, drawer runners, and edge trim, all over the Christmas period! Happy days. Oh and I'll have to find a way to make the plywood look decent, maybe I'll paint it with a nice gloss paint.

Oh, and to top it off, Ikea's refund system takes 7 to 10 days to refund my card. I like Ikea furniture but I think I'll stick to picking things up in store from now on!
I've built my kitchen out of plywood - I'll be using professional (domestic) door fronts and veneers to make the finished article look (hopefully) better
Old 23-12-16, 13:14
Van Guru

Well, that's not gone to plan at all! Fresh from cancelling the order I pop down to my local timber supplier, turns out they've decided to close early and won't reopen until Tuesday 3rd either!

So now I'm left with buying sheet plywood from B&Q () or building my kitchen in record time in January. I'm leaning towards the latter if I'm honest! I'm supposed to be off between Christmas and New Year but I might just move the time off to the beginning of the year instead.

What would you do? I was going to build it by making lightweight panels, with a 12x12mm frame clad in 3mm ply either side, or I could just bite the bullet and by 12mm sheets from B&Q, It's be heavier but it would also be done quicker.

Dave, as far as I know my budget won't stretch to furniture board, but I'll be in touch about the rest!
Old 23-12-16, 13:19
Van Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexhoc View Post
Well, that's not gone to plan at all! Fresh from cancelling the order I pop down to my local timber supplier, turns out they've decided to close early and won't reopen until Tuesday 3rd either!

So now I'm left with buying sheet plywood from B&Q () or building my kitchen in record time in January. I'm leaning towards the latter if I'm honest! I'm supposed to be off between Christmas and New Year but I might just move the time off to the beginning of the year instead.

What would you do? I was going to build it by making lightweight panels, with a 12x12mm frame clad in 3mm ply either side, or I could just bite the bullet and by 12mm sheets from B&Q, It's be heavier but it would also be done quicker.

Dave, as far as I know my budget won't stretch to furniture board, but I'll be in touch about the rest!
Not withstanding your limited timescales to complete, the lessons I've learnt so far with my build is that when I've tried to rush things to get the mdone (usually n frustration at similar various occurences to those you're having right now), I've ended up having to do the job again to finish it to a better standard.

My advice ? don't rush it.

TK.
Old 23-12-16, 13:36
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
Not withstanding your limited timescales to complete, the lessons I've learnt so far with my build is that when I've tried to rush things to get the mdone (usually n frustration at similar various occurences to those you're having right now), I've ended up having to do the job again to finish it to a better standard.

My advice ? don't rush it.

TK.
True, that's only asking for trouble. I'll see how quickly I can get boards delivered then, since I can't drive the van more than a few hundred yards until next year!
Old 23-12-16, 14:04
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
I've built my kitchen out of plywood - I'll be using professional (domestic) door fronts and veneers to make the finished article look (hopefully) better
Where do you plan to source the veneer from? I was struggling to find anything when I first looked...
Old 26-12-16, 12:36
Van Master Jedi

How long are you going away for ? Could just chuck stuff in plastic boxes and fashions makeshift bed until you have some decent time and supply of materials ?

Gone Big on the Self Build....LWB LT35 Big....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in