Notices

Old 26-12-16, 12:37
Van Guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: New LT project!

I'm going for a couple of weeks, but we will only stay in the van a few nights. The most important bit is to get the heating and toilet rigged up, and the lights and batteries, the bed can just be a mattress on the floor and we can always use the front seats to eat and chill...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-12-16, 19:36
Van Guru

As I was pondering my kitchen arrangement, along with the rest of the cupboard space in the van. I originally planned to have the leisure batteries under the rear seat, along with the chargers and other electrical gubbins. My heater will be located underneath the kitchen cupboard, so it's near the gas bottle and I don't have to mess around too much with piping.

This got me thinking about messing around, and routing a cable from the battery to the fridge, is there any reason I can't house the batteries in that cupboard too? I would make it properly vented and waterproofed in case of leaks from the sink, and it would save having to run cables to both sides of the van.
Old 28-12-16, 19:44
Van Guru

A quick update on this, making good progress today. A lot of the equipment is simply placed there for now, to check for fit and to make sure it's in a suitable place before I'm too far along.

most of the panels refitted, the right hand rear door was a right pain to fit:

I made a start on the kitchen unit:

And the washroom/toilet:

I've also made a start on the rear bed/storage area:

The plan is to build narrow cupboards either side of the bed, it will be a standard double bed at 36cm wide. The front and rear "bulkheads" will be used to route the lifting mechanism for the bed. I'll be using thin ropes to "winch" the bed frame up from the back of the van.

Excuse the poor lighting, the last of the work was done with a head torch once again!

Tomorrow I will cut openings in the front of the kitchen unit, fit shelves, and start wiring and installing all the kit underneath. In a stroke of luck, there is nothing in the way underneath the van, so it will be straight forward holes for the heater and water pipes, and the gas drop vent.

Old 03-01-17, 07:22
Van Guru

Well it's been a busy Christmas period and it's opened my eyes to the timeframe needed to do a good job, when it's the first time at least. I like to plan things properly and to work things out in my head so I spent a lot of time thinking about how I wanted things done, and it's taken a lot longer than I anticipated!

No pictures as there isn't much "new" to show but I now have running water, lights, heating and cooking facilities, and a working toilet (assuming nothing goes wrong when I attach the gas bottle on!).

Over the next week I need to finish a few odds and sods, like fit retaining straps for the water containers, ensure everything is securely fixed to the side of the van, tidy up the cab area and fix an issue I have with the split charge system.

Then I go on holiday for 2 weeks to test the layout, and after that I probably will spend some time making everything a lot nicer! I like what I've done so far but it definitely feels unfinished.
Old 03-01-17, 07:25
Electrifying!!!
Official TraderVW Transporter

Yes, it's surprising how quickly you can get things things done in your head! Happy new year Alex.

Electrics for camper vans and work vehicles.
www.travelvolts.net

INFO Text call back to 07971 165747 or travelvolts@gmail.com
Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5pm only. Yes, we have a life beyond working
NO PRIVATE MESSAGES PLEASE!
Old 07-01-17, 17:55
Van Guru

Another update on this, I fixed my issue with the charging system, thanks Upspex (turns out I was just being far too cautious!). I've also fitted the gas bottle and glad to report the cooker and the heater work!

I fitted a temporary table, and a battery monitor and USB sockets for charging phones. I also started kitting the van out for travelling, with fire extinguisher, first aid kit, fire blanket, etc.

It feels good getting to a point I can actually go away in it! Tomorrow I'm hoping to finish the area above the cab with carpeting and lights, and fit the rear seats.
Old 08-01-17, 12:31
Van Guru

you didn't muck around building it.

Enjoy your trip
Old 08-01-17, 16:36
Van Guru

Thanks, there's quite a lot of work still to do, but I guess that's part of the fun! Everywhere I look I think "ooh, I need to tidy this up" or I find something I need to finish...

I've made progress with the overhead cubbyhole too, turns out you can't see a lot in the pictures but here they are anyway:

The lights I've added are a little powerful!

I've also tidied up the step (but forgot to take pictures) and started fitting the rear seats, everything was going really well until I realised that the bolts I'd bought are far too short... and I realised that at 5pm tonight so no chance of buying longer ones either! I guess it's one thing I'll have to finish on Friday morning, before I set off on the trip in the afternoon!

All I have to do apart from that now is tie things down, then it's time for a breather!
Old 16-01-17, 20:10
Van Master Jedi

That's a seriously impressive amount of work in that time frame chap !

Gone Big on the Self Build....LWB LT35 Big....
Old 17-01-17, 06:59
Van Guru

Thanks, it's proving really good so far, I like the layout, and since nothing is really finished I'll be able to modify a few things. I'm quickly realising I don't have enough storage space.

The heater is great though, very quick to get the van to a nice temperature, it's a bit noisy overnight though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in