Notices

Old 05-05-11, 14:48
Van Guru

Default New VRT Regulations

Just came across the notice on cosy classics looks like it should be easier to tax a conversion as a camper with the height restrictions now gone happy days

New VRT regulations eliminate the rediculous 1.8 metre rule which we have lobbied against for several years. Under new EU guidelines the internal height of the vehicle is now irrelevant.
Please read the new VRT regulations for registration of campers below
MotorCaravans/Motor Homes
To be deemed a motor caravan/motor home a vehicle must, be a Category M1,M2 or M3 vehicle (EU vehicle classification with abodytype SA) and must be constructed to include living accommodation whichcontains at least thefollowing equipment:
·seats and table,
·sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats,
·cooking facilities, and
·storage facilities.
It should be noted that this equipment must be rigidly fixed to the living compartment, however, the table may be designed to be easily removable.
Motor caravans/motor homes registered on or after 1January 2011, will be charged VRT at 13.3% of the open market selling price ofthe vehicle at the time of registration.
This after much lobbying means that standard height campers or campers fitted with pop top roofs will now be registered as campers,and subject to the lower rates of VRT at 13.3%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-11, 22:18
Looney Toon
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: New VRT Regulations

When is the 1.8m rule going to be gone ? I'm trying to import a camper that has all the bits, but failed on the 1.8m rule (only 1.6m to the roof).

/M
Old 07-05-11, 09:25
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlow View Post
When is the 1.8m rule going to be gone ? I'm trying to import a camper that has all the bits, but failed on the 1.8m rule (only 1.6m to the roof).

/M
It's gone since the 1st January this year Marlow . You get on to revenue and request a conversion advice note
Old 10-05-11, 18:30
Van Pro

T4 Post Icon Re: New VRT Regulations

Hi Danny,

What exactly is a conversion advice notice ? I'm in the process of converting a '99 Caravelle and had given up on the idea of it being a camper as I couldn't bear the idea of a fibreglass roof. I'm back on track again, yipee
Old 11-05-11, 09:11
Van Guru

If you ring your tax office they will post one out to you charlo. i received mine yesterday i'll copy and paste what it says on it tomorrow when i get a chance mainly you have to get some one who is registered garage to confirm that your van has been converted i.e that it has a hob,sink, fridge , storage area and bed
Old 14-05-11, 18:56
Van Man

good man Danny, I emailed my local tax office who told me they were not aware of any change in rules. must phone them again.
Old 12-06-11, 00:13
Van Master Jedi

This is fantastic news!

I rang my local tax office and they said they'd look into it and ring me back. Still waiting...

Last edited by Bullet350; 15-06-11 at 00:18.
Old 23-06-11, 14:15
Van Master Jedi

Galway tax office sent me a 'declaration of conversion' form to fill out and send to Rosslare with photos. It still asks for internal measurements.

Limerick tax office said you need 1.8 m on inside.

Clare tax office, after several calls, are still supposed to get back to me.

Last edited by Bullet350; 23-06-11 at 14:20.
Old 23-06-11, 17:02
Looney Toon

Obviously, they don't have a clue. Anyhow, here's all you need (copied from another forum.)

Re-classifying your conversion

So, the way it was when you were finished a conversion, you completed the VRT6 form and sent it to the boys in Rosslare. They'd charge you the VRT and would re-classify the vehicle for you.

However, I've been on to the revenue site looking for the form, and lo and behold its not longer there. They've changed the form to this one:
Vehicle Conversion Declaration

Now, there is one major distinction between the two forms. The newer one requires the form to be completed by a 'suitably qualified individual' declaring the following:
Quote:
an Engineering/Technical Qualification (Level 7 or higher accredited courses28) or appropriate accreditation
with Engineers Ireland or the Institute of Automobile Engineer Assessors
• a minimum of 5 years experience of working in a suitable technical environment (preferably
• Automotive or Engineering Environment)
• access to adequate facilities to carry out a thorough vehicle examination, and
• appropriate professional indemnity insurance
This is a major change, and being in the middle of a conversion it could well mean that I am scuppered when it comes to re-classifying it as a camper.

So I contacted revenue asking for the VRT6 form, and they said the following:
Quote:
Dear Fingers McGee
The VRT 6 Form has been updated. The form you are looking for is
at: , and,
VRT, Forms, ( at bottom of list), then
Declaration of conversion by vehicle owner .
Which to be honest, is about as helpful as as throwing a drowning man both ends of a rope. So I asked them the following

Quote:
Hi Revenue Overlords

Thanks for coming back to me.

I do have a question on the new form I hope you can help me with.

On the form, it asks that it is signed and stamped by a 'suitably qualified individual'. This conversion is a home build, and will not be completed at a garage, therefore I am the suitably qualified individual.

This was not part of the VRT6 form, and According to the RSA it doesn't become legislation until 29th april 2012. (Link)

Can I just state on the form that it was a home conversion? I can't seem to get any help from rosslare on this.

Many Thanks for the help
Fingers McGee
And they said:
Quote:
You can sign as the 'suitably qualified person' only if you have the required qualifications to do so.
The notes on the form list these, and the NSAI may assist with certifiers in your area.
Now, from what I understand the RSA has stated that this doesn't become legislation until 29th April 2012

Seriously!!! WTF is going on here. It seems like they've just changed their position on a whim. Can anyone else here shed some light on it, as I'm just about to start harassing Revenue on this.

Original info is from here and the following discussion from that: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=71298704

Anyhow. The form is as above.

/M

Bunch of T4's and LT's, but most of it 4WD.
Old 23-06-11, 18:04
Van Master Jedi

Big thanks to Danny and Marlow. I've got the documents from my Co Council and have worked out (I hope) how to go about this from start to finish. I've put it in a blog post here on how to get camper van status for an Irish van.

Last edited by Bullet350; 25-06-11 at 00:36.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in