Notices

Old 14-06-15, 17:02
Van Expert

Default Re: New VRT Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet350 View Post
Forget the broker, ring Dolmen, Stuart and The Caravan Club directly.
Thanks a million, will do, I don't want to do a load of work to be told, 'sorry can't insure you'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-08-16, 11:29
Van Jedi

brining an old thread back from the dead here, just wondering if anyone can tell me from experience if vrt is payable when you convert a factory crew cab to a camper.? i have searched and cant get a true blue answer. sick of messing around nowadays so may just get converted and be done with it but need to calculate the true cost. thanks, p.s im blaming the weather for my boredom!!!!
Old 21-08-16, 12:58
Van Guru

Thumbs up Re: New VRT Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygirl View Post
brining an old thread back from the dead here, just wondering if anyone can tell me from experience if vrt is payable when you convert a factory crew cab to a camper.? i have searched and cant get a true blue answer. sick of messing around nowadays so may just get converted and be done with it but need to calculate the true cost. thanks, p.s im blaming the weather for my boredom!!!!
A quick google threw this up

https://blog.donedeal.ie/2013/04/all...-vans-and-vrt/

Old 21-08-16, 14:16
Van Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet350 View Post
Forget the broker, ring Dolmen, Stuart and The Caravan Club directly.
Forget Dolmen and Stuart, I called them both and they are also only brokers, one requires you to have any van converted by an SIMI garage and the other insists on 1.8m internal roof height even though it is not required in order to have a van re-classified by Revenue. The Caravan Club are also an intermediary for a broker whose policies are underwritten by Allianz Insurance. In order for them to give you a quote you must join the Caravan Club (70) and have the van certified by an engineer or SQI (suitably qualified individual) designated by the Club. Some choice huh? I tried all the insurance companies directly, even have my car insured with one, no good, you must deal with a broker. Oh and by the way, if you are under 25 then forget all about getting camper van insurance.
Old 21-08-16, 14:26
Van Jedi

Question Re: New VRT Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
thanks huxley, read that but it does not say anything specific about paying vrt when you convert a crewcab, although classed as commercial they have paid a higher vrt than a panel van so would the 13.3% vrt still apply when converted???
Old 21-08-16, 14:31
Van Jedi

T5 Post Icon Re: New VRT Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0001198 View Post
Forget Dolmen and Stuart, I called them both and they are also only brokers, one requires you to have any van converted by an SIMI garage and the other insists on 1.8m internal roof height even though it is not required in order to have a van re-classified by Revenue. The Caravan Club are also an intermediary for a broker whose policies are underwritten by Allianz Insurance. In order for them to give you a quote you must join the Caravan Club (70) and have the van certified by an engineer or SQI (suitably qualified individual) designated by the Club. Some choice huh? I tried all the insurance companies directly, even have my car insured with one, no good, you must deal with a broker. Oh and by the way, if you are under 25 then forget all about getting camper van insurance.
its a tough country to live in if you have any sort of hobby or ambition to own a nice van! east germany was never this bad, i was interrogated by the insurance company as to "why do you want a van"???? before i could get insurance. it all comes down to the fact that the companies might loose a few euro. rant over,for the moment,,,,,,
Old 21-08-16, 14:41
Van Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygirl View Post
its a tough country to live in if you have any sort of hobby or ambition to own a nice van! east germany was never this bad, i was interrogated by the insurance company as to "why do you want a van"???? before i could get insurance. it all comes down to the fact that the companies might loose a few euro. rant over,for the moment,,,,,,
I know, between messing around with Revenue, trying to DOE and Tax the van and trying to get insurance has taken me nearly three months. I have a T5 shuttle and a T5 van as well and it is becoming a nightmare to try an insure them every year despite no claims and full NCB and for years.

I think the insurance companies a missing out on a lot of decent business as people who are into these vans tend to look after them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in