Notices

Old 16-02-12, 14:45
Van Pro

T4 Post Icon Re: Tips on choosing the right conversion company

Interesting thread..

Although i probably do have some skills that would enable me (with lots of forum input) to do my own conversion, one thing i don't seem to have much of is time. With this in mind i spent a fair amount of time looking at conversion company's, their work, feedback and reviews.

Once we were happy we then visited a conversion company and had a close look at their workmanship and once satisfied we discussed our requirements both in person and by email. I think its sensible to confirm any verbal conversations by email just for everybody's own assurance.

I have added additional items (this week!!!!) pre conversion which i know are a pain in the rear but not critical to the build, stating my requirements and the cost, they contacted me and said it was fine but what i wanted was probably overkill and therefore saved me a few beertokens A good relationship and trust is a must.

Regarding payments, i paid a booking/reservation/spot fee which is understandable then a percentage when the van goes in, then the balance on completion once happy with the final product. For small business cash flow is king and even more so when materials are going up and margins going down.

Mine is being dropped off on Sunday for works commencing Monday

Waiting is gonna be an absolute bummer,

Cheers
A very excited 48yr old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-12, 12:13
Van Rookie

Default Re: Tips on choosing the right conversion company

Hi I'm fairly new here as a forum member and would like to know folks opinion on leasing a van rather than splashing out cash for a new one. I like the idea of not having to invest everthing up front, especially in tough economic times. I want one of the new Transits out in September, but can't decide what to do. I have had one face to face with a company based in Leicester and thought they were OK and wondered if anyone knew if they were savvy or not - http://www.mwvc.co.uk
Would appreciate anyone's opinion.

Cheers
Old 18-08-12, 22:16
Van Rookie

Hi All;

i've been reading the forum and am looking at having my camper converted and would like to ask the forum if anyone has experience of the two following companies that i have spoken to and am looking at visiting.

1. Cannon Camper Conversions - http://www.cannoncamperconversions.co.uk
2. CamperVanity - http://www.vwcampervanity.co.uk/Services.html

The advice given so far is brilliant, keep it up!

Thanks and I look forward to hearing any thoughts.
Old 23-09-12, 10:49
Van Pro

Having just got my first T5, just sold my 65 split, we have decided that the way we are going to progressis as follows:

Tailgate glass

Carpet van

Use

Pop top, after pots of research and talking to others

Electrics, temporary fix

R&R bed

Captain chairs

Units

Sound system

Spread our budget over 2 years but still have a useable van for camping and festivals

Indy
Old 23-09-12, 11:20
Van Pro

As for the company, there are 6 I need to look at, my nearest is Marlin conversion, 5 miles away and what I have seen so far is impressive, not the finished article but the work on other vans, cable layout, attention to detail behind the panels, knowledge and options.

I saw one company and I was not impressed by the workshop procedures, one would not let me into their workshop, so no thank you.

Above all a free coffee on arrival helps a lot as well
Old 23-09-12, 17:51
Serial Poster
I Support CLIC Sargent

my advise would be not to rush into a conversion, an airbed will do for a while. get to some shows/meets and speak to people, have a look around. never been to a meet or show yet where people wont let you have a look in there bus!
Old 23-09-12, 18:41
Van Pro

T5 Post Icon Re: Tips on choosing the right conversion company

Any recommends for windows?
SW uk! Cornwall
They are first on my list, then the air bed, and I'm serious, about the bed that is.
Reimo pop top is next, with a bed, although I'm 6 ft I am sure I will fit, just
Old 28-10-12, 11:42
Van Man

A great thread for somebody like me who is probably looking to have a professional conversion undertaken. On the subject of payments there is a simple method used by most of the boatbuilding industry where you have a simple contract that values specific stages and the client makes a payment; this means the cashflow for the builder is maintained and the customer can demonstrate ownership of the boat up to the last payment stage, protecting their interests too.

I can't imagine it would be that difficult to use something similar for van conversions, the contract is specifically very simple for both parties to use so there is no need for lawyers or professional valuers but it protects both parties. Ideal for the smaller convertors who would struggle to fund the conversion past a 500-1000 deposit.
Old 01-04-13, 22:20
Van Rookie

Hi i am new to this forum and have a T4 i want to get insulated and lined it had a home made job on it years ago, i live in Devon ,can anyone recommend someone down this way?
Old 22-01-14, 20:37
Van Expert

After having a frightening morning having someone ( who shall remain nameless but advertises on ebay ) butcher two windows in my van I would say look at how they work where they are working from and if your first impression is that it's like steptoes yard run away quickly if I'd taken my own advice I wouldn't be contemplating taking my windows out to sort the utter abortion that I actually paid someone to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in