Notices

Old 16-01-14, 11:28
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Taking the dog abroad

Excellent info thanks for that, we are planning a trip to Europe with our big boy this year so will take note of all that

There is more than one way to skin a hedgehog but all are painful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-14, 21:57
Van Expert

hi iv just come back from bulgaria as i was living there for a bit then i moved to france and yes i drove all the way and back again just a word the worst place to drive is in austria the cops there are not nice and make sure you get the right vanetta for the road and if like me you cant speak german as they all seam to over there it can be a big problem ,,, as i went into the garage to buy mine on way back from bg i took in my passport logbook and driving licence they gave me the sticker for my window of i go happy camper and my dog also i did not do 3 miles when the police told me to pull over you got the wrong vanetta he said in very good english so i said to him its the one the lady gave me in the shop no good he said you have to pay 280 euros now and still get the right one i say its not my fault go see the woman that sold it to me im not paying it asyou know you got to take all your papers in and you can see iv got one in the window he says no problem as his hand goes to his gun ill shoot your dog and take your van ,, so i did pay and it was in cash as did not want my dog shot or my van taken off me ,, gave me a recite for my money just make sure you got the right vanetta look on line before you go ,,,, france love dogs at do germany but make sure you tell your vet were you are going with you dog as there is different rules in each country
Old 07-06-14, 09:56
More than a little van obsessed

We leave ours in the UK either at kennels or a friends house (on a farm).
We met our mates in Britanny last week and they have their dog; a complete PITA who can't be left anywhere without making a huge fuss. We had to keep out of the sun, he can't be left in the car, etc.

Much as we love our dog, she's not coming overseas with us; too much hassle, too hot.

Old 05-01-15, 13:51
Fistral beach bum

We leave ours behind, too. Talking about ferry bookings, I've just had a bit of an argument with DFDS. They are just in the process of removing the small motorhome category from the drop down menu and the jobsworth I spoke to told me not to book Ron as a large car, even though a T5 is smaller than some monstrous 4x4s. He said they could charge the extra at port. (Yes, I know you can get away with it, but I'd worry!) He also said that motorhomes, whatever their size, are part of their freight allowance, which is considerably more expensive. They wanted 170 for Dover- Dunkirk return. Went to aferry.co.uk and checked against price for small camper with P&O. The aferry.co.uk price was 120, P&O's own website 126. Still fuming about DFDS, though.
Old 08-06-15, 10:23
Van Pro

We travel with 3 dogs and all their passports are now full on page 22 (vet declaration) there are only 4 spaces anyway.
Last time we travelled the vet carried on to page 23 "legalisation" on one of our dogs' passports - the others still had space on page 22 then.
Passport control never mentioned anything at the time.
Just wondering if any of you have had a full passport what you have done as i do not want the expense of buying 3 more passports because some bright spark only put 4 spaces to begin with!
Old 11-06-15, 14:05
Van Pro

for anyone interested, just got this reply from apha regarding the vet declaration:

Please be advised that whilst the entry for clinical examination is not required to be completed for the movement of dogs and cats to other EU countries, some transport companies may still require owners to produce evidence of an animal’s fitness to travel.

Veterinarians may, therefore, complete the ‘Clinical Examination’ section of the passport if they wish to do so and if it is possible. Alternatively, the following statement could be used as a guide by vets if issuing a letter to a client regarding an animal`s fitness to travel, should it be needed -

“On (enter date), I examined the animal described in UK pet passport serial no (enter number) and found it to be free from clinical sign of infectious or contagious disease, including external parasites, and in my opinion, is fit for travel”.

Please be advised that additional pages may not be attached to the EU pet passport. If an essential section has become filled, (rabies vaccinations or tapeworm treatment), you will need to obtain a re-issue passport. Re-issue passports, like the originals, should be obtained from your vet.

For further information on how to prepare your pet for export to the UK under the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS), including listed countries, documentary requirements and approved routes and carriers, please see the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-inform...for-pet-owners
Old 21-06-15, 11:24
Van Guru

We travelled May/June 2015

New style Pet passports now have 7 spaces for 'Clinical Examination' which I'm thinking is Vets Report. Also if anyone is worried about their animal not taking the tapeworm tablets there is the choice of an injection instead.

We travelled Portsmouth to St.Malo and although we had trained our dogs with a muzzle they didn't need to wear them at any point either going or returning. But be prepared because the rule is still in place so can implemented at any time.
Old 18-07-15, 22:14
Van Rookie

Going to France in August, taking two dogs with us, heard that the dogs needed to travel in a crate at all times whilst travelling, just wondered if anyone can confirm this as being true, thanks in advance
Old 19-07-15, 06:42
rickyrooo1's tag line is poop

Don't need to be in a crate.We keep Albert in a cage but plenty of people just have them in the van/car

Brighton F.C
Promoted November 2016
Old 19-07-15, 07:51
Serial Poster

we use a crate, Plymouth Roscoff, through choice . we never need to use it at home, and dog usually travels on the back seat in his harness

but with the van loaded its easier to have him in the crate on the floor and protected from falling camping gear, and if he has an accident during the 8 hr crossing it will be in the crate not all over everything

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in