Notices

Old 26-11-13, 13:57
Lord of the T4s

Default Help & Advice (EUROPE ROUTE) to Italy and back.

Hi.

Me and the wife are planning to go on a European adventure in 2014.
We will be travelling last week in July - first 2 weeks in August. (July 25- Aug 15th).

We would like to go Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, Italy (Lake Garda) - and return via France.
We have no specific destinations planned or campsites booked.

(A complete pair of "totally novice" travelers abroad).

Questions are :-

1. Do we need to book campsites - or will we get away with wild camping (and pull into a campsite when water and facilities are required).

2. Is the destination do-able in a two week run ? Don't mind travelling for around 4-5hrs per day, but do not want to be van bound all holiday seeing everything out of a van window.....

Any other advice and guidance would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Last edited by brionline; 26-11-13 at 14:20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-11-13, 14:14
Van Jedi

Default Re: Help & Advice (EUROPE ROUTE) to Italy and back.

I did a similar trip this year but didn't stop in Belgium(only drove though) and only went as far down as Genoa then back along the French coast, along the Gorges du Verdon and then back though France. We did 2700 miles

I had 3 weeks and that wasn't long enough, we only stayed in one place for a couple of days max staying mostly on Aires so I'd say trying to to it in two weeks would be too much driving ( for me anyway).

Worth buying Camperstop for places to stay.
We didn't book anywhere before hand and only really struggled to find anywhere in Switzerland due to arriving on 1st of August when there was some sort of festival on so all the campsite where full.

We did see lots of great places and plan to revisit some of them this year but spent a bit more time
Old 26-11-13, 14:28
Lord of the T4s

Firstly - Sorry windsurfer (just made an edit to my post - we are travelling for 3 weeks not 2).

I will look into getting Camperstop - cheers.

I don't mind cutting the journey short, and just travelling as far as Switzerland if it makes more sense, and gives us more time to relax and enjoy the trip.

My wife is more into the site seeing countryside/mountains NOT towns and cities and I like to drive on good roads that challenge NOT just motorways.

Ideal campsite would be lake side in a quiet town with history - and of course a few beer holes.....

Old 26-11-13, 14:35
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brionline View Post
Firstly - Sorry windsurfer (just made an edit to my post - we are travelling for 3 weeks not 2).

I will look into getting Camperstop - cheers.

I don't mind cutting the journey short, and just travelling as far as Switzerland if it makes more sense, and gives us more time to relax and enjoy the trip.

My wife is more into the site seeing countryside/mountains NOT towns and cities and I like to drive on good roads that challenge NOT just motorways.

Ideal campsite would be lake side in a quiet town with history - and of course a few beer holes.....

2 long 10-12 hour days or 3 easy days don't worry too much about booking. Stop in Luxembourg for fuel :-)
Old 26-11-13, 14:37
Van Master Jedi
Help For Heroes

I've done Europe in our van many times. We normally try for a minimum of 3 weeks. But we fit in around 7 countries.

We have never booked anywhere in the past due to always going outside school holidays and always stay on campsites, purely as we don't need to do it on a budget and we like the quality and facilities of sites.

This last time we went in August as we went with friends who had a child of school age so we booked all sites. We also had our 17 month old with us so wanted know we had a space booked. This was a good plan as most sites we went to in August were fully booked.

We nearly always drive to location 250 miles ish, set up camp and chill. Get up and spend a full day exploring. Get up pack up and move by 9am ish. Basically 2 nights each location..

I would strongly advise adding Luxembourg into your plans. Top city to visit.

Another of our favourites is Salzburg, Austria. And the French alps always gets a look in. We also love Germany. We don't really bother with a lot of France apart from the alps.

Get cruise on your van if not already fitted. It was awesome this time around.

You will love it.....
Old 26-11-13, 14:40
Van Master Jedi
Help For Heroes

Def fuel up Luxembourg. It's the cheapest in Europe. If you like your drives, do the Stelvio pass. We did this and the grossglockner pass this time. The Stelvio was best and free. It will test you and your van!
Old 26-11-13, 15:26
Lord of the T4s

Cheers kayakmartin & toucanspeed.

Really wish I could go "out" of school holiday, but wifes company & Nissan have set dates.

So you think we may struggle if not pre-booked. This kind of puts a downer on the whole idea, and I may need to step back and have a think. The whole idea was to have a basic destination and head off. Don't like the thought of being unable to camp down for the night.... mmmm??????
Old 26-11-13, 15:32
Van Master Jedi
Help For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brionline View Post
Cheers kayakmartin & toucanspeed.

Really wish I could go "out" of school holiday, but wifes company & Nissan have set dates.

So you think we may struggle if not pre-booked. This kind of puts a downer on the whole idea, and I may need to step back and have a think. The whole idea was to have a basic destination and head off. Don't like the thought of being unable to camp down for the night.... mmmm??????
You will be able to just wing it if your willing to maybe get turned away from some sites to others in the area, or wild camp. Depending how of the beaten track you go.
When we go out of holidays we spend the last evening of the current destination getting out maps, guide books and the iPad to research the next destination and places to stay. (Of course over a bottle or two and a barbie!)

Most European places and sites have wifi to help plan.

When I get into Europe with my mates mountain biking and kayaking etc I'm happy to wild camp. But like a bit of luxury when with the family.
Old 26-11-13, 20:27
Van Jedi

This year we drove to Austria and stayed in a German mini brewery to cut the trip in half. Made sure we filled up in Luxemburg and loved the scenery in Worthersee. Next year we will be using Worthers as a staging post for a bit more exploring south.
Old 26-11-13, 20:33
Member #14 - Team 1.9TDi
I Support CLIC SargentOfficial MemberVW Transporter

If going through Germany, most towns have stellplatz, often with hookup at a few €/night

We did a similar trip, but mainly Germany then through Austria and into Italy. Didn't book, just did stops down the Rhine valley etc

1.9TDi Convert - click here! See my Build Thread HERE

WestDubs Side Elevating Roof Thread

*** T4 Top Ball Joint Tool For Hire ***

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in