Notices

Old 04-12-13, 14:36
Van Man

Default Re: Help & Advice (EUROPE ROUTE) to Italy and back.

No advice to give but glad to see you are visiting Plitvice lakes, we visited there a couple of years ago and thought it was a stunning place, a series of crystal clear lakes joined together by waterfalls. We walked route c which took us via a bar and then a boat trip up one of the lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-13, 15:24
Van Master Jedi

T4 Post Icon Re: Help & Advice (EUROPE ROUTE) to Italy and back.

Here's a brief taste of our European trip in 2012, our first ever jaunt in our '92 T4 Westfalia 2.4D. This link http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=200197 will take you to my short post about it, with a few pics and maps at http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=10292.
Maps show the route out and back.
Hope this is of some help: if you want more detailed info, just let me know and I'll give pass on facts about sites, places to see, etc.

Ste. Enimie, in the Tarn Gorge, France (van in middle of car park).

Berchtesgaden, S. Germany - views to die for!

The details from the trip are:
Journey Time: 7 weeks, 5 days.
Distance Travelled: 7,184 kms (4,464 miles).
Countries Visited: Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy & France.
Weather: Brilliant! We had only 4 completely wet days - while it poured down back in UK all the time we were away.
Temperatures: Ranging from 2ºC when leaving home at end of April, to 39ºC at Fréjus, mid-June.
Campsites Visited: 17 + 1 Stellplatz.
Fuel Used: 656 litres (144 gallons = 9 tankfuls).
Fuel Consumption: 30.935 miles/gallon.
Fuel Cost: €864.13 = £693.03 (exchange rates at 3/07/2012). Fuel costs were (wrongly) estimated before going, using UK prices on Google Maps. The cost was quite a bit less, probably due to cheaper fuel in most European countries, but NOT in Italy.
Total Cost of Trip: £3,150-00 (lower than anticipated, probably due to cheaper fuel and using the ACSI/Camping Cheques discount cards).

Some hints and tips:
The Drum Inn, near Dover, is handy for an overnight stop before catching the ferry next morning and getting a full day's driving in when you've crossed the channel.
Avoid Belgium's horrendous road surfaces! (You can't if using Dunkirk ferry).
Luxembourg has the cheapest fuel in Europe (worth a detour just to tank up).
Motorways in France and Italy can be expensive - use other roads whenever possible, and see a lot more.
France - the Tarn Gorge is a MUST - plenty of good campsites and lots to see.
Inernet connections in France can be a bit 'hit and miss' - and very S L O W
DFDS Ferries, Dover/Calais or Dunkirk always seem to be the cheapest - by quite a goodly amount.
Make sure you have everything with you which is required in France - spare specs, a HV jacket for everyone in the van, vehicle documents, etc., spare bulbs, first aid kit (don't ask how I know). There are more, but a search on the forum will get you all the info.
Get a breakdown/recovery service before you go (we used Adrian Flux - excellent service, and again - don't ask how I know!).
VW garages on the continent are superb: even with an old van like ours we were treated as valued customers (3 times as it turned out), quite unlike some places in UK.
If using Dunkirk ferry, a couple of days at Camping Memling near Bruges city centre is a must when coming back home. Great site: you can walk into centre (there is also a bus) and it's a great city.

Finally: go and enjoy yourselves - and post some piccies on here as you go around.
Old 04-12-13, 16:22
Lord of the T4s

Kettykev - I agree, it looks fantastic. Me & Michelle are more into the countryside and walking. I'm trying to base my trip around this, and give the cities/large towns a miss. Thanks for the info.

Basscamp67 - Looks like you had a great time & thanks for the offer of information. I will be back with questions once I get a stable route sorted.

Old 04-12-13, 22:33
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brionline View Post
So here we go......

I have started to put my plan into action for next year’s trip. (please remember that I do not have any of the advised books yet, so that route/camp sites are all fluid at this time..). Working purely with google maps, I have cobbled together a rough outline of the holiday route I would like to take.

I now need you seasoned and intrepid explorers to take a look at my plan - rip holes in it, and let me know what changes to make.

I have planned 14 locations. This gives me the flexibility of 7 nights, to stay on extra nights or just go off route a little.
From getting off the ferry - to getting back on the ferry we will be covering roughly 3000miles.

DOES THIS APPEAR DO-ABLE or LAUGHTABLE?

It's doable but that's a lot of driving. I did 2500 miles over 3 weeks in the summer through Germany Italy and France and by the end I was getting a bit sick of driving and constantly pitching and packing away. Next year we're going to rein it in a bit and take in a few less miles with longer stopovers so we can all relax and enjoy the holiday.
Old 05-12-13, 00:11
Van Master Jedi

T4 Post Icon Re: Help & Advice (EUROPE ROUTE) to Italy and back.

Basscamp67 - Looks like you had a great time & thanks for the offer of information. I will be back with questions once I get a stable route sorted .

No probs - I'll be happy to help any time.
If you'd like a copy of the diary we kept which we made up into a trip-log booklet when we got back just let me know and I'll PM it to you - call it a Christmas present. It's probaby too long a document to post on here.
All places we visited have websites which can be easily found on Google if necessary.

Also, if you haven't already looked through the 'European & Foreign Travel' postings on here, I advise that you do so before finalising your route: it may give you some ideas which you hadn't thought of and is well worth doing beforehand. Other advice is - and I was given this by a fellow camper - stick to your plan if possible. It avoids you travelling around willynilly and ending up having not actually done anything worthwhile at all.
Old 05-12-13, 10:41
Lord of the T4s

Hi basscamp67

I have sent you a PM.
Would love to read your TRIP-LOG.

Cheers for all the info.

Old 05-12-13, 11:45
Serial Poster

Ok - I've done this or a similar route 3/4 times.

From my experience.....

Point B on your map try here, not glamorous but simple, clean, cheap (€25 for six) we go every year...

Ede & Uschi with Alexander, Family Kootz
Camping Reles-Mühle
Kapellenweg 3
D - 54675 Körperich-Obersgegen
Tel.: 0049 6566-1465
www.eifelcamping.com

Very close to Vianden - fairytail castle...and 2 miles from cheap fuel!

Forget 'H' we had to do it against advice and I'm passing it on.

At 'I' we had 3 week sat on the edge of the sea in a fantastic quiet cove for the last 2 years. €32 per night for 6. Picture below, if you want more info then let me know. It's quiet - clean, no night club, has a camp shop, 5 miles fro a Lidl's!! leccy for 3hrs twice a day.

Fantastic kayaking down the road.

We now don't tour, we travel to somewhere and stay if we like it. What you are proposing is 3 weeks of traveling which is quite a lot. We go in July and come home in August and never book, but this depends on what you want. We use the same transit sites every year and we like really quiet sites. They need showers and toilets which are clean -that's it.

Piccies here

Last edited by toucanspeed; 05-12-13 at 11:48.
Old 05-12-13, 11:56
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscamp67 View Post
Here's a brief taste of our European trip in 2012, our first ever jaunt in our '92 T4 Westfalia 2.4D. This link http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=200197 .[/I][/B]
I've badly hacked the above into a quote rather than re post but........

Spot on advice with figures/calculations that matched ours...
Old 05-12-13, 12:55
Lord of the T4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by toucanspeed View Post
At 'I' we had 3 week sat on the edge of the sea in a fantastic quiet cove for the last 2 years. €32 per night for 6. Picture below, if you want more info then let me know. It's quiet - clean, no night club, has a camp shop, 5 miles fro a Lidl's!! leccy for 3hrs twice a day.

Piccies here
Thanks for the advice
YES I would like to know more aobut the COVE area campsite.

I seem to agree (reading from what everyone is putting), that my journey is exactly that - a journey and not a holiday.
I am now looking a ways of cutting the trip down, but still enjoying my time at Croatia. (Croatia is my aim).

There are 3 main location points I want to work around.
1. The famous mountain pass in Austria (white DOT below point M).
2. Coast of Croatia.
3. Plitvice Lakes.

My IDEAL trip would be to get down near the south coast ASAP and spend my time down there. BUT I do not want to ruin my holiday by starting/ending it with a 500/600 journey.... so I'm trying to break the journey down AND make it enjoyable with views....
Old 05-12-13, 13:32
Serial Poster

Ok - campsite is called Kamp Oaza - not to be confused with the one the other side of the peninsula called Auto Kamp Oaza Mira which is holiday hell - well for me anyway.

http://kampoaza.net/

Map here

From the campsite i Luxembourg we travel to Pisogne in Italy (my parents have a house nearby) then on to Croatia. To give you an idea of timings....from Stonehenge to the ferry at dover 3.5hrs (lunch on the ferry and a break) 3.5 hrs to Luxembourg arriving at 16-1700. Eat and go into Vianden, sometimes stay 2 nights. Travel to Pisogne - 10-11hr drive (really long day but we have a bed waiting so not a problem) else we stop half way. From Pisogne to Drage (Croatia) another long day 8 hrs ish but again, we know where we are going and arrive in daylight.

If you just wanted to get there, I would do Luxembourg then somewhere midway between there and Drage. 3 days and then 35 deg. If you get bored (as if) then head back a different route and take and extra day or 2. Luxembourg campsite is easy and simple and within 'striking' distance of the ferry. If you get there too early then drop in on Brugge.

Plitvice lakes....or go to the ones that are closer in KRKA Here

Kayaking is available here..the water was so clean you could drink it paddling along -awesome €38 per head. The most professionally organised tour I've ever been on, friendly -really

Facebook

Last edited by toucanspeed; 05-12-13 at 13:37.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in