Notices

Old 19-01-14, 12:19
Van Jedi

Default Crafter high oil consumption

I've had my 08 plate crafter (163bhp) 2.5 with 80k miles for 6 months or so and done around 4k miles, in that time its gone through over 10 litres of oil. Due to a slight leak on the oil cooler its been replaced, the oil use seems to be getting worse, there are no leaks around the engine, no blue smoke, it runs fine and does decent mpg. I've had the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler off yesterday and that was dry so turbo seems OK, it isn't a using water but there is a small amount of Mayo on the oil cap. I've noticed an oily smell on a couple of occasions when getting out of the van after a run. Any suggestions before it goes in to get taken to bits and costs a fortune?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-11-14, 20:52
Van Jedi

Default Re: Crafter high oil consumption

An update to the earlier post, its now using approx. 1 litre every 3-400 miles and has had a strip down which revealed a lot of carbon build up and seized scraper rings, these have been replaced as well as valve\head work to clean everything up - still using oil. It sometimes idles at 1000k revs and runs a bit lumpy but only for a short time and that's when there is a smell of fresh oil coming from the front end-no visible leaks where is the oil going????
Old 19-11-14, 07:40
Van Jedi

If there are no visible external leaks then it's got to be either getting burnt in the combustion process or mixing with the coolant.

There's no where else for it to go.

Old 20-11-14, 21:18
Van Jedi

Definitely no visible external leaks and no oil in the coolant. The exhaust is clean but I've been told the dpf will keep it clean even if it's burning oil, the dpf regen light has only come on once in the 15000 miles or so I've owned it. The wierd thing is the strong smell of oil which coincides with a high tickover this only happens around once a week.
Old 21-11-14, 09:38
Van Jedi

Hi tick over could be the DPF forcing itself to regenerate?

or the burning of oil that has seeped through, then once this is burnt off, tick over is back to normal..
Old 21-11-14, 20:24
Van Jedi

The Dpf light doesn't come on and it's usually on short trips I notice the high revs/oil smell, the dpf light has only come on once in the last 12 months and that was on a 200 mile trip. I'll do a 100- 200 mile run on a Monday and Friday with short trips in between. The oil smell is really strong in the cab and around the front end and is more like fresh oil than burnt oil.
Old 22-11-14, 08:48
Van Guru

Mine uses oil as well. Dpf removed.
Turbo is weeping oil. So changing that over the winter, as van is sorn anyway.
So check your turbo
Old 22-11-14, 11:52
Van Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich broom View Post
Mine uses oil as well. Dpf removed.
Turbo is weeping oil. So changing that over the winter, as van is sorn anyway.
So check your turbo
Turbo was one of the first things checked all the pipework is dry and vw confirmed all recalls including replacement turbo and ecu changes have been done, oil cooler also replaced within the last 12 months.
Old 14-03-15, 12:46
Van Jedi

Recently had the injectors replaced as there was a couple of faulty ones, still using a litre of oil every 300-400 miles, this is holding up the rest of the conversion as I'm reluctant to spend money on the camper side of things until the engine is right. A recent high oil use google has suggested faulty lambda sensor could cause it?? Anyone have any experience of this or know a decent experienced vw tech who could shed some light?
Old 14-03-15, 18:40
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

ive got the same,been checked over 3/4 times on diagnostics,no faults,my dpf has been deleted and im on 115k miles,i have been advise dby a guy in oz who had smilar to change lambda next to dpf before spending on more expensive engine components,my mechanic says dont worry but its not the point,and the oil isnt cheao either.Lambda is my first thing im changing,I personally think its over fuelling due to remap??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in