Notices

Old 09-09-15, 15:51
Van Master Jedi

Default Re: Crafter high oil consumption

My Crafter runs fine, but occasionally it'll idle at 1000 rpm not the usual 750... and has a deeper tone to the engine note. Is this a forced regen? Even when its been run down the motorway it can do this for a short time before returning to "normal". Also no DPF light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-15, 16:12
Van Expert

Yes it's dpf regenerating. Mine was doing the same, never showed a light on dash as well. I had to remove mine because it developed a fault. It got stuck in regen cycle, forced regeneration in garage, but it came back again. Remember that dpf filter is a consumable and not a lifetime part. Since removal it runs good, but I too have a problem with the engine drinking a bit too much oil. I too think to start from lambda sensor.
Old 09-09-15, 19:54
Van Jedi

Ok dipped the oil tonight - 1600 miles since new lambda and the oil is still at the top of the dipstick.
On another note the van was running a bit laggy this morning and making the chuffing noise as I pulled up and on the way home tonight the dpf light came on - that's twice in the last 200 miles after only seeing it once in the last 2 years. My driving has recently changed to short local journeys but surely that's too short a gap to need another long run - what are other peoples experiences with the dpf light and short journeys?????

Old 10-09-15, 08:37
Van Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlee View Post
Ok dipped the oil tonight - 1600 miles since new lambda and the oil is still at the top of the dipstick.
On another note the van was running a bit laggy this morning and making the chuffing noise as I pulled up and on the way home tonight the dpf light came on - that's twice in the last 200 miles after only seeing it once in the last 2 years. My driving has recently changed to short local journeys but surely that's too short a gap to need another long run - what are other peoples experiences with the dpf light and short journeys?????
Hey Lee,

My van was mainly used for short journeys and the dpf light came on a couple of times. This reset after doing a regen on a longer journey. Then the next time it came on it stayed on and I had the DPF removed and remapped. This revealed/caused a turbo failure which was replaced but now the van seems to burning oil with the white/blue smoke on overrun.

Redlee it seems like your DPF needs replacing? If I had the choice I might consider doing a DPF replacement as they are a little cheaper now or maybe try getting it cleaned out.

Old 10-09-15, 12:50
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouniques View Post
Yes it's dpf regenerating. Mine was doing the same, never showed a light on dash as well. I had to remove mine because it developed a fault. It got stuck in regen cycle, forced regeneration in garage, but it came back again. Remember that dpf filter is a consumable and not a lifetime part. Since removal it runs good, but I too have a problem with the engine drinking a bit too much oil. I too think to start from lambda sensor.
Cheers

So from what ive read on this thread, is if the removal of the DPF which is causing oil consumption issues?
Old 10-09-15, 15:34
Van Expert

No, not really. Mine oil usage was highish even before removal of dpf.
Old 10-09-15, 18:56
Van Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical_Mass View Post
Cheers

So from what ive read on this thread, is if the removal of the DPF which is causing oil consumption issues?
Not in my case - lambda changed, dpf still fitted but stopped using oil just running a bit odd which is a separate issue I think......

Anybody know the best way to check if the dpf is goosed???
Old 11-09-15, 20:00
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

ive had dpf removed and remap,on tuesday im having a new genuine vw lambda sensor fitted and a change of oil/filter,lets see how it goes
Old 12-09-15, 10:32
Van Pro
Official MemberVW Transporter

My 109 was (maybe still is) using the same high quantities of oil, approx 2 litres every 500 miles or so. For various reasons I decided to have a DPF delete and re-map. Only Since then I noticed I was getting the clouds of white/grey smoke when you first touch the accelerator after a period of over-run. No smoke any other time. I asked the garage why it was not doing this before the re-map thinking it may be an over fuelling issue. They explained that problem was probably always there but because the EGR has now been switched off, all the smoke is coming out of the exhaust rather than being recirculated back around the engine. Makes some sense I guess.
But from various googling and the posts on here I decided to change the Lambda. Smoking stopped instantly! Relief...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will now cure the heavy oil consumption too. I only fitted it this week and haven't used it enough so far to see if it has, but will keep you posted.
Main dealer price for new lambda was somewhere in the region of 160. I bought a Bosch part from http://www.lambdapower.co.uk/default.asp for 103 and it arrived next day
Old 14-09-15, 10:58
Van Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeboy View Post
My 109 was (maybe still is) using the same high quantities of oil, approx 2 litres every 500 miles or so. For various reasons I decided to have a DPF delete and re-map. Only Since then I noticed I was getting the clouds of white/grey smoke when you first touch the accelerator after a period of over-run. No smoke any other time. I asked the garage why it was not doing this before the re-map thinking it may be an over fuelling issue. They explained that problem was probably always there but because the EGR has now been switched off, all the smoke is coming out of the exhaust rather than being recirculated back around the engine. Makes some sense I guess.
But from various googling and the posts on here I decided to change the Lambda. Smoking stopped instantly! Relief...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will now cure the heavy oil consumption too. I only fitted it this week and haven't used it enough so far to see if it has, but will keep you posted.
Main dealer price for new lambda was somewhere in the region of 160. I bought a Bosch part from http://www.lambdapower.co.uk/default.asp for 103 and it arrived next day
Thanks for the info and it would be great to hear your results. Lambda is next on my list and I will update my results as well....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in