Notices

Old 24-02-14, 19:16
Van Expert

Default Autotrader Scam

Not sure if this is in the right forum or not or may be a re-post but though it was worth mentioning....

I've just found a deal to good to be true on a T5 Kombi reg- YC56 VHL. Grey with 20inch alloys, lowered 40mm, selling for 4600

It's on autotrader and possibly ebay although it has now been removed from autotrader

I thought it was suspect so emailed from a spare email account. I got a completely non-discript return email covering nothing I asked for instead asking for a quick sale where by when I sent full payment delivery would be "arranged" at no charge to myself. I've already decided it's suspect at this point but email back asking about specifics. I got a very strange email back saying reason for the ad being removed was it had expired, I didn't even ask about the ad being removed.

After a quick google of the email address and some digging I've found out that they have been involved in scams worth around 1m.

The email address is- evelyn@btworld.co.uk posing under the name of Evelyn

The vehicles are being advertised as based in London however, you then find out that either A) it's on an army base on the isle of wight or B) it is in Scotland as they have work commitments.

Either way avoid! Apparently they have been trying to scam allsorts of vehicles including a T4 which is "based" on the Army camp on the Isle of Wight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-02-14, 19:22
Van Expert

Default Re: Autotrader Scam

Also posting steveley47@yahoo.co.uk 38000 2010 Kombi than has just appeared. Definitely a scam.
Old 24-02-14, 23:26
Serial Poster

Ive just been browsing the Auto trader site and came across a couple of T5 vans with conversions for less than 5k.

Both of them with pics with someone@yahoo.co.uk email addys included.

Some poor booger is gonna get reeled in.

Old 27-02-14, 18:21
Van Rookie

Exclamation Re: Autotrader Scam

Just to let Everyone know , i was nearly caught out by the same scammer, Offering a T4 2.5tdi vwbuswerks conversion for 4000.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...-t5/1050323572

Usual suspicious items sent to me aswell, looking for a quick sale, advertised in london but currently in scotland. Main thing that got me thinking was the way she was asking for payment (i know i should have seen it way before) it wa sent via a paypal email Paypal@customers-support.co.uk.

Firstly after reading the email a few things stood out, the way of payment wasnt actually through paypal, it stated that because of the large sum of money a bank transfer had to be used, ie no protection. Next thing the name that was stated was a M Lukaszewski, which is definetly not the Evelyn i was speaking to.

After googling the email address and nothing coming up ( surely a company as big as paypal would have put on the internet somewhere), i phoned paypal and ebay, Both saying it was most probably a scam and not to trust them.

its amazing what you can do with 20 mins spare time and the googling capabilities of the FBI.

Why cant i find a van which is perfect for me -Anybody selling??
Old 02-03-14, 18:40
Van Jedi

The dirty thieving scummy fxcking low life's praying on hard working people, but if it sounds too good to be true then 99 times out of a 100 it is. I'm looking to spend 10k on a van but I'm not going to rush in without actually seeing it and making a payment that I know I have some protection.

Jay
Old 02-03-14, 18:54
Van Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philr99 View Post

After a quick google of the email address and some digging I've found out that they have been involved in scams worth around 1m.

The email address is- evelyn@btworld.co.uk posing under the name of Evelyn

The vehicles are being advertised as based in London however, you then find out that either A) it's on an army base on the isle of wight or B) it is in Scotland as they have work commitments.

Either way avoid! Apparently they have been trying to scam allsorts of vehicles including a T4 which is "based" on the Army camp on the Isle of Wight
Hi - I also responded to an eBay van too good to be true, ad removed immediately followed by a text from 'Evelyn' asking me to email as the van was still for sale. Wouldn't it be lovely to get them with. 'Sting' operation from trading standards or the police.
Old 04-03-14, 16:40
Van Rookie

I hesitantly enquired about a t5 i saw on auto trader and got the same generic emails everyone is getting. Not answering any questions just something about a goon going to mali that cant talk on the phone beacuse he is in the isle of man in a military base. tomdowning76@hotmail.com. is the email they used. Soon as you type in isle of man military base scam warnings is the top result. There trying it with motorhomes and other stuff as well. Its been going a while and they have had a few people over it seems.
Old 05-03-14, 11:30
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Re: Autotrader Scam

Harsh as it may seem..anyone handing money over for a Vehicle without seeing it [especially 'too good to be true'] has only themselves to blame if they lose their money...there are so many of these [well advertised] scams going on now that you would think people would be extra careful with their 'hard earned'

Grammar... the difference between 'knowing you're sh!t' and 'knowing your sh!t'
Old 05-03-14, 12:25
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC SargentOfficial MemberVW Transporter

I'd make an appointment to try and go see it.

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.

Need cruise activating in Norfolk/Suffolk? PM me
Old 07-05-14, 19:58
Van Rookie
Official MemberVW Transporter

Most of these scams get placed on friday saturday evening & most bank holidays when offices are closed.We have been selling vw transporters for years & we get customers telling me they can buy a 2009 t5 with low miles for around 4200. They dont seem to understand its a scam & get sucked in. 47 people sent 4700 each for one vw camper a while back. The banks dont want to know these days. These people are clever & have all the time in the world. Hope that helps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in