Notices

Old 29-04-09, 03:36
Van Man

Default Re: vrt & side windows

how on earth did they land on 3600? i recently drove a friend's mercedes camper from germany and was at the VRT office when it was inspected. It's undoubtedly a camper van, but the guy dilligently measured it up anyway. i'm nearly sure that she wrote down the value of the van on the form,and they accepted her evaluation and the vrt ended up at 700 and something..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-04-09, 21:39
Van Pro

yea i think it should pop top is still a roof and they all so say that u must be able to stand up in it so with the pop top up u can stand up problem solved but then if ur under 3ton they will want 13% its a no win no win with them empty heads that work in them offices ...
Old 29-04-09, 22:09
Van Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravings View Post
how on earth did they land on 3600? i recently drove a friend's mercedes camper from germany and was at the VRT office when it was inspected. It's undoubtedly a camper van, but the guy dilligently measured it up anyway. i'm nearly sure that she wrote down the value of the van on the form,and they accepted her evaluation and the vrt ended up at 700 and something..
yea i was thinking a grand wood have been a mad price but they said becaue the van not 1.8 inside behind the driver seat and it has two seats in back that make a bed that it wood have to be vrt the same as a people carrier and because there no emissions on tax book it costs more as well sad sad fcuks...

Old 30-04-09, 13:01
Van Guru

When I spoke to VRT heads, they said pop tops def didnt qualify as campers. Roof had to be permanently fixed. 1.8 metre was minimum. It sounds like it entirely depends on who you get in the VRT office and whether they got laid the night before . Nazi gits.
Old 30-04-09, 22:47
Van Jedi

That was close. I was about to buy a pop top during the week only the fella was waiting for tents to come in. What The F***. If a van that is kitted out as a camper with a pop top is not a camper then what is?
When I spoke to the fella in Tallaght vr office he said that he had to send pics to some office in Rosslaire. So It seems to me that its that office which make the final decision. Has anyone heard of a pop top conversion being passed in the last while. Very confused.
Old 01-05-09, 00:17
Van Jedi

Campervan, Just re-reading ur posts. are you saying that a poptop can count as a camper? Have you got one passed?
My old '96 velle started life up in lovely Longford by the way
Old 01-05-09, 01:15
Van Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4camperman View Post
yea i was thinking a grand wood have been a mad price but they said becaue the van not 1.8 inside behind the driver seat and it has two seats in back that make a bed that it wood have to be vrt the same as a people carrier and because there no emissions on tax book it costs more as well sad sad fcuks...
everything gets decided in rosslaire though.. that's normal. the seats in the back of yours, are they proper? like.. do they have proper belts onto the chassis and that?
Old 01-05-09, 08:05
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daithi View Post
That was close. I was about to buy a pop top during the week only the fella was waiting for tents to come in. What The F***. If a van that is kitted out as a camper with a pop top is not a camper then what is?
When I spoke to the fella in Tallaght vr office he said that he had to send pics to some office in Rosslaire. So It seems to me that its that office which make the final decision. Has anyone heard of a pop top conversion being passed in the last while. Very confused.
All I know is what VRT in Santry, Tallaght, Wicklow and web site have said to me. I was origionally looking for a second hand california until they told me it's a passenger vechicle, not a camper---how f~~king ridiculous is that?
A factory built camper is not a camper...go on the public service! I settled for a panel van to convert myself and I dont intend to say a word to vrt unless I really really have to.
Old 01-05-09, 11:55
Van Jedi

Mine 2 vans are caravelles so proper seats and belts.
I am well unhappy about this bull. How can a factory camper not be classed as a camper.
I am prepared to take this on with the department of transport. I'm not to sure how to go about this but I suppose the best way is to lobby the Minister for transport. All that required is a change to the method of accessing the roof height as camper can not be used as temporary living accomidation when the van is driving. ie with the roof down.
A petition would be the best way forward.
I am surprised that VW have not had a go at this as they are missing out on sales.
Any thoughts?
Old 18-06-09, 21:49
Van Rookie

Hi Lads I have a 1990 transporter. no pop-top or high top but a regular bog standard transporter with a fridge, 2ring hob and sink. it got registered as a camper. But it always depends on who you talk to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in