Notices

Old 16-08-09, 13:21
Van Jedi

T5 Post Icon Re: vrt & side windows

hi all.new to this so if anyone has advice on the following i would be greatful!!
i have a T5,2003 and want to put a seat in the back to allow me to bring my new son out for drives,if i dont put windows in the side am i still "liable" to pay vrt IF i told them or what happens if stoppedby customs? they seem to frequent the limerick shannon motorway???
When i insure it and tell the company do they need documentation from the installer.
T4camperman,whats the story around the VRt and DOE test??
All advice appreciated. thanks, love the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-08-09, 20:43
Van Jedi

Default Re: vrt & side windows

Hi Speedygirl,
I will be in the same boat as you next week. I'm going to fit a rear seat and side windows.
I'm going to look into the whole vrt thing tomorrow, so will let you know.
Insurance wise it's no problem with most companies. There is no extra charge, proivided you get an engineers report stating that the seats have been properly fitted and are safe. Companies like PSV in Tyrone supply crash certs.
Hope this helps
Old 18-08-09, 14:34
Van Pro

got stopped by customs in rosslare coming back from holidays, i had a rock n roll seat/bed in the back of my van, i haven't got any windows in the back of the van and the grumpy customs official told me it was illegal to have a seat in the back of a commercial vechicle. i persuaded her it was only there for my hols and that it was coming out as soon as i got home. the grumpy bitch took the registration of the van so i don't know if the are going to follow this up or not, so i have taken out seat incase. VRT is 30% of open market value of the van (value is taken as a van with windows and not panel van). depending on when van was registered it could be based on co2 emmissions.

hope this helps, everyone u talk to in vrt office gives a different answer, i think they make it up as they go along.

i think the minister for transport should be lobbyed about vrt situation regarding windows in vans and especially about pop-tops, to get clarification on these issues. pop tops seem to be allowed depending on what part of the country u are in. would it be possible to do this as a forum group.
Old 18-08-09, 14:53
Van Jedi

Unhappy Re: vrt & side windows

o.k, thats good to know as i would be going to germany in mine and coming home through rosslare! thanks for the heads up info. I think a lobby would be great. Everybody in the U.K seems to be driving these vans no problem but our GREEDY government just like ripping off the ordinary folks who like to own good vehicles. I think the ministers should be made to pay road tax like the rest of us.
Anybody got a nice crew cab with a 1.9tdi engine for sale????
Old 19-08-09, 19:33
Van Pro

there is a crew cab on carzone.ie in a garage in wellingtonbridge, wexford, looks like a nice van.
heres a link:
http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswa...t?channel=CARS
Old 30-08-09, 22:40
Van Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qumo View Post
Hi Lads I have a 1990 transporter. no pop-top or high top but a regular bog standard transporter with a fridge, 2ring hob and sink. it got registered as a camper. But it always depends on who you talk to
Who do I need to talk to?
Old 30-08-09, 23:11
Van Jedi

Definitely not this

vrt and tax are his middle names.
Old 30-08-09, 23:22
Van Jedi

Brian, Whats the story with pop tops?
Old 30-08-09, 23:57
Looney Toon
Official MemberVW Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooledboner View Post
there is a crew cab on carzone.ie in a garage in wellingtonbridge, wexford, looks like a nice van.
heres a link:
http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswa...t?channel=CARS
That's a T5, only a 1.9 and DAMN .. they still want an awful amount of money for it.

/M

PS. anything under 2l is nonsense !!!
Old 31-08-09, 22:59
Van Jedi

Taken from boards.ie:

Here's the reply from Dublin South County VRO

Dear X

Thank you for your e-mail.

(A) Camper vans more than 3 tonnes unladen weight when weighed at an approved weighbridge, under customs supervision, will qualify for VRT at a flat rate of 50.00. A full tank of petrol/ diesel is allowed at time of weighing.
(B) For campers under 3 tonne, they may qualify for the 13.3% VRT rate if they meet the following requirments:
(1) The FLOOR to CEILING height must EXCEED 1.8 metres (70.87 inchs) at its lowest height.
(2) The camper must have a cooker with at LEAST 2 cooking rings.
(3) A sink unit must also be in the vehicle.
(C) If the camper is under 3 tonnes and does NOT meet the criteria set out at "B" above then the FULL rates of VRT will apply.
These are as follows:
The following is a broad outline of the regulations regarding the importing of NEW & USED vehicles into the State from another EU State:
VRT is payable by BANK DRAFT, CHEQUE or LASER CARD (limit of 1500.00) made payable to the REVENUE COMMISSIONERS. If payment is made by Cheque the cheque presented must be in the name of the owner of the vehicle. Driving Licence or Passport must be presented as I.D.
Vehicle Registration Tax is payable at the following rates: Up to 1400cc the rate is 22.5% of the Irish open market selling price. From 1401cc to 1900 cc incl the rate is 25% of the Irish open market selling price. Over 1901 cc the rate is 30% of the Irish open market selling price.
In the cases of Category A ( cars) and Category B (small carvans) vehicles the chargeable value for calculation of VRT is based on the open market selling price (OMSP) of the vehicle at the time of charging the tax.
The OMSP of a NEW vehicle is the price of the vehicle declared to the Revenue Commissioners by a manufactuer or sole distributor which is inclusive of all taxes and duties which that model, including any enhancements or accessories, and which in the declarant`s opinion might reasonably be expected to fetch on a first arm`s length sale thereof in the open market in the State by retail.
The OMSP of a USED vehicle is the price which in the opinion of the Commissioners the vehicle might reasonably be expected to fetch on a first arm`s length sale in the State. The tax is payable at the time of registration of the vehicle. For used vehicles age, condition, mileage and fitted extras will be taken into consideration. The OMSP will be calculated by the VRO on the basis of information provided and by physical examination of the vehicle.
The actual amount of VRT payable will be determined at the time of registration in the State following an inspection of the vehicle. The amount of VRT may be increased to take account of accessories or optional extras not mentioned in your enquiry.
You are strongly advised to recheck the VRT payable on any vehicle that you intend to bring into the State before doing so, as the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) may be changed over time and consequently the amount of VRT payable.
VAT ON "NEW" VEHICLES ACQUIRED WITHIN THE EU:
Motor vehicles which have less than 6000 kms or are less than 6 months old on the date of registration in the State are liable to 21% VAT. VAT is payable in the State, whether or not the VAT was paid in the country of exportation. If VAT was paid in the country of exportation, then a refund can be sought from the VAT authorities in that country. Irish VAT is charged on the invoice price, less the VAT paid in the country of export (if VAT was paid) converted into Euro at the Customs monthly exchange rate in operation for the calandar month in which the vehicle is produced for re-registration. Vehicles with MORE than 6000kms AND are OVER 6 months old there is NO VAT payable if ACQUIRED WITHIN the EU. VAT is payable on NEW and USED cars IMPORTED from OUTSIDE the EU.
The above VRT regulations apply to both NEW and USED vehicles brought into the State. Private individuals importing cars are required by law to produce the vehicle(s) at a VRO and pay the appropriate VRT & VAT ( if due) WITHIN 24 hours or by the end of the next working day.

VRO`s IN THE DUBLIN ARE
(1) Furry Park Industrial Estate, Santry, Dublin 9 Tel: 8579800.
(2) St. John`s House, High St, Tallaght, Dublin 24, Tel 4149700
The VRT & VAT is payable at these centres.
You will have to supply me with the following information on the commercial vehicle and the cost of converting the van to a camper:
(a) reg year of van (reg no if Irish registered)
(b) Make and model of van
(c) No of doors
(d) Engine cc
(e) Petrol or Diesel
(f) Value of van as of
(g) Cost of the conversion to a camper including VAT
I will then forward this information to Rosslare CVO to get a VRT amount payable on the vehicle as a camper.

X
Dublin South County Customer Services.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in