Notices

Old 11-12-14, 19:28
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Goodbye Ratrace ...... a new beginning.

Hi folks,

I've had the pleasure of reading other members threads of their holidays abroad, but I don't think anybody' done a write up on immigrating abroad. As some of you may already know I've been planning a new life in France for quite some time, well the time has come ....... I've taken the plunge as it were. Quit my job, sold my gaff, now living the adventure I worked so hard for.

Leaving the 'rock', St Helier harbour ........ next stop, St Malo >>

Getting ready to disembark at St Malo >>

Having only driven round Jersey and it's tiny roads at top speeds of 40 mph, driving in France could of been a nerve wracking experience. I hatched a plan ..... I would take it easy and follow 'granny' around ! Thing is, even the old folk were over taking me at very high speeds ! Strangely, I wasn't nervous, I decided to relax and go with the flow. I think if you're nervous yo're more likely to make mistakes, forgetting which side of the road you're supposed to be on can have disastrous consequences, sadly, it has been done on many occasions.

When I got to St Malo, I really didn't have a definite direction to go. I knew my ultimate goal would be the Limousin area, as that's where I would like to buy my new property. But before then, I thought I would have a 'look around'. I'd been told about Dinard ...... so I went there ! As I wanted to travel in a southerly direction, Ploermel seemed to be the logical choice.

Then onto Redon, one thing I was adamant on was, to not take the 'Auto Routes', and in particular stay away from the major cities. So I went toward Acenis, between Nantes and Angers. I went down as far as Niort along the west coast of France, stopping over night in a 'Chambres D'Hote'. As the previous night I slept in my van in a place called Nozay, and almost froze to death !

This whole adventure reminds me of the movie 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' with John Candy : )

I crossed the river Vienne at Confolens in the Charente, next stop 'Limousin' >>

At this point, I must mention Lulu, she has been great ....... These T4's are really made for the open road. She's purring like a kitten at 90 kph. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to finish my conversion, the corrupt rock that is Jersey was doing my head in, one more moment in Jersey would certainly of driven me insane. So, no sooner was my gaff sold ..... I booked my ticket !

I'll have to cut this short now, as I'm getting tired, I'll try to update as much as possible ( and when I can get internet access ) for those of you who may be interested.

Ultimately, I have ended up right smack bang in the middle of where my house hunting will begin. I'm currently in Aubusson in the Cruese department, so tomorrow my 'real' house hunting can begin. : )

I'll let you know how I get on.

TURK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-14, 19:43
Van Pro

Default Re: Goodbye Ratrace ...... a new beginning.

Very brave, very best of luck to you
I love france and I'm sure you will love living there, we stayed in Niort on the way down this year.
Best wishes
Old 11-12-14, 20:00
Van Master Jedi

T4 Post Icon Re: Goodbye Ratrace ...... a new beginning.

Good luck with your new adventure I hope it brings you all that you wish for away from the rat race.

Old 11-12-14, 20:02
More than a little van obsessed

Superb!
We have often thought about moving there too; the kids are well bedded in at school but it's still tempting.
I assume you speak French okay? It's the only language I have any competence in.

Enjoy!!
Old 11-12-14, 20:10
Van Jedi

Wow........actually doing what so many of us dream of!!!!

I will subscribe to this thread and watch your progress with interest

Very best of luck mate

Roll on following my pipe dream of running a campsite one day
Old 11-12-14, 20:15
I'm a believer..TDI convert
I Support MacmillanOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Good luck with it all Turk

Oompa Loompa Lover
My build thread http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=167177
Old 11-12-14, 20:15
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB

Thanks John

Stopped off in Niort a couple of nights ago, last night was Hotel Auclair in Gueret, hotel was great but the town was grim ...... rained all day

If you get the chance take a look at the 'Lac de Vassivière', it's just down the road from where I am at the moment. I'm hoping to find a property around that region.

I have the distinctive advantage that I speak French fluently, so finding my way around isn't an issue. Tomorrow is my big day however, visiting estate agents ......... should be interesting

If you wait, wishing life will improve, sometimes life will pass you by, and years from now you'll find yourself saying 'I wish I'd done it when I was younger' ........ I've heard that story so many times now from people with regrets, so I decided to act now before it's too late or when I get too old.

I know things will be difficult at first, but if you don't try you'll never know.

I'll try to update my 'adventure' as much as I can, but with hotel Wi-Fi it's very much it and miss whether I get a connection.

Until then ....... salut

TURK
Old 11-12-14, 20:19
Van Master Jedi

The very best of luck to you
Old 11-12-14, 20:24
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB

WOW ! so many responses while I was writing to John

Many thanks to all of you I'm sure that if I document everything as a blog sort of thing, it may come of some use to people hoping to do the same sort of thing. I will be sure to include the pitfalls, to which there are many.

The 'catch-22' situation is already rearing it's head

What I have learned in the last few days is, it's much easier and much more straight forward buying property over here than renting. Estate agents are the same the world over, they are always reluctant to help you unless there's something in it for them !

TURK
Old 11-12-14, 21:07
Van Pro

My penneth, for what it's worth, is consider renting to make sure it's the right place to settle. If it's proving difficult look at a long term holiday let, look at ownersdirect, for example, and contact them, they might do a deal, especially out of season. And watch out for termites if you buy

Tags
a new beginning, france

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in