Notices

Old 23-02-15, 14:00
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Re: Goodbye Ratrace ...... a new beginning.

I'm finally back 'home' folks

Finding a removals firm in Jersey willing to travel was a nightmare to say the least ! a couple of companies quoted me ridiculous prices, which is probably their way of saying, they're not interested. I went through the yellow pages, called them all, and only one of them ( the last one ! ) came to see what needed moving. The quote wasn't too bad, if I had done it myself I would save myself 400

I may just as well pay the extra, and let them sort everything out.

I took as much as I could in my van, all my expensive computers, monitors, bush bike and various tools. I knew I couldn't do the entire trip some 500 miles, in one day. As I would be arriving in Saint Malo at 11:15 am, so I'd only have one uncomfortable nights sleep in the van.

I can't recommend enough the use of a decent SatNav, look no further than a Garmin, the maps are much better, and get as larger screen than you can afford. You don't want to be squinting at those tiny little screens when you're concentrating on the road. I also setup my iPhone as a dashcam, it's well worth recording those special moments and beautiful sights to view at a later date. >>

Bedding down for the night ......... in the front of the van. The previous night I had to sleep in the back of the van on top of a whole pile of boxes, ( as there was no more room at the inn, so I had to vacate the quest house I was in ), and with the pedals of my bushbike reminding me I had an unwanted partner in bed with me. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. >>

Next morning ........ chilly start as the temperatures dropped to minus 4 ! I love driving Sundays over here, there's virtually no traffic about, and at that early time, you have the whole road to yourself. Just watch out for ice ! >>

Just some 'arty' stuff. As a keen photographer, I never miss an opportunity for a good shot. I like the way that light and shadows can alter the way we view things. >>

Lulu enjoying the trip as much as I am ........ where is everbody ? That road you see there, is dead straight for some 9km. I'm cruising down the road, viewing the country side, taking in the scenery. With no traffic anywhere around me, I happen to glance down at my speedometer, to my astonishment I was doing 122kph ........ good thing the gendarmes weren't around ! >>

The following pictures were taken exiting Chey, region of Poitou-Charentes. As an 'islander', I'm not really accustomed to wide open spaces. So when I saw this, I just had to stop. Flat lands, no buildings and no people ......... as far as the eye can see. The air was, well, 'air' ! the way it's suppose to be. This region has never known what pollution is. >>

Lulu looks minuscule in a landscape like this. I swear I can detect the curvature of the earth. >>

It's still very cold, but not that damp cold, so very pleasent. Not a cloud in the sky ........ and I'm smiling ear to ear >>

When I got to the Vienne region an hour later, things looked very different. Snow, snow everywhere. >>

And barely an hour after that I was in Limousin region ( my new home ). I've experienced four seasons today, and I got to say, this is by far the prettiest area I've come across. All my research these past few years wasn't wasted. It's all been confirmed in person

A veritable feast for my eye's. >>

Now that I'm back 'home', all my stuff should arrive next weekend. There'll be no play for TURK for quite some time, as it will be down to some serious business. I'll still keep an eye open for that bargain property, but right now it's not my priority. I'm quite happy renting a cheap gaff, at least I can concentrate on my project.

I also have some video of the trip, various stages and roads taken that I took on my iPhone. I think a good source of information for the newbie continent driver. Never driven in France before ? want to know what to expect ? the videos should be helpful. I'll upload them to youtube, once I've edited them.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

TURK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-02-15, 16:05
Van Guru

Default Re: Goodbye Ratrace ...... a new beginning.

Great read, Big cheers Bud !!
Old 23-02-15, 17:41
Has tools
I Support MacmillanOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Good to see you are there!

Old 23-02-15, 19:20
Van Guru

Nice pictures Turk, good luck with your new venture.
Old 23-02-15, 19:54
Lord of the T4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURK View Post
I'm finally back 'home' folks

Finding a removals firm in Jersey willing to travel was a nightmare to say the least ! a couple of companies quoted me ridiculous prices, which is probably their way of saying, they're not interested. I went through the yellow pages, called them all, and only one of them ( the last one ! ) came to see what needed moving. The quote wasn't too bad, if I had done it myself I would save myself 400

I may just as well pay the extra, and let them sort everything out.

I took as much as I could in my van, all my expensive computers, monitors, bush bike and various tools. I knew I couldn't do the entire trip some 500 miles, in one day. As I would be arriving in Saint Malo at 11:15 am, so I'd only have one uncomfortable nights sleep in the van.

I can't recommend enough the use of a decent SatNav, look no further than a Garmin, the maps are much better, and get as larger screen than you can afford. You don't want to be squinting at those tiny little screens when you're concentrating on the road. I also setup my iPhone as a dashcam, it's well worth recording those special moments and beautiful sights to view at a later date. >>

Bedding down for the night ......... in the front of the van. The previous night I had to sleep in the back of the van on top of a whole pile of boxes, ( as there was no more room at the inn, so I had to vacate the quest house I was in ), and with the pedals of my bushbike reminding me I had an unwanted partner in bed with me. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. >>

Next morning ........ chilly start as the temperatures dropped to minus 4 ! I love driving Sundays over here, there's virtually no traffic about, and at that early time, you have the whole road to yourself. Just watch out for ice ! >>

Just some 'arty' stuff. As a keen photographer, I never miss an opportunity for a good shot. I like the way that light and shadows can alter the way we view things. >>

Lulu enjoying the trip as much as I am ........ where is everbody ? That road you see there, is dead straight for some 9km. I'm cruising down the road, viewing the country side, taking in the scenery. With no traffic anywhere around me, I happen to glance down at my speedometer, to my astonishment I was doing 122kph ........ good thing the gendarmes weren't around ! >>

The following pictures were taken exiting Chey, region of Poitou-Charentes. As an 'islander', I'm not really accustomed to wide open spaces. So when I saw this, I just had to stop. Flat lands, no buildings and no people ......... as far as the eye can see. The air was, well, 'air' ! the way it's suppose to be. This region has never known what pollution is. >>

Lulu looks minuscule in a landscape like this. I swear I can detect the curvature of the earth. >>

It's still very cold, but not that damp cold, so very pleasent. Not a cloud in the sky ........ and I'm smiling ear to ear >>

When I got to the Vienne region an hour later, things looked very different. Snow, snow everywhere. >>

And barely an hour after that I was in Limousin region ( my new home ). I've experienced four seasons today, and I got to say, this is by far the prettiest area I've come across. All my research these past few years wasn't wasted. It's all been confirmed in person

A veritable feast for my eye's. >>

Now that I'm back 'home', all my stuff should arrive next weekend. There'll be no play for TURK for quite some time, as it will be down to some serious business. I'll still keep an eye open for that bargain property, but right now it's not my priority. I'm quite happy renting a cheap gaff, at least I can concentrate on my project.

I also have some video of the trip, various stages and roads taken that I took on my iPhone. I think a good source of information for the newbie continent driver. Never driven in France before ? want to know what to expect ? the videos should be helpful. I'll upload them to youtube, once I've edited them.

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

TURK
Best of British luck Turk
Keep us posted on the new adventure mate
Old 23-02-15, 20:26
Van Master Jedi
I Support Macmillan

One of my colleagues is in the process of selling a house 30 minutes away from Limoges, in the Limousin area.

We traveled down from North West of England and back over a weekend earlier this month to bring all his valuable stuff back.

What a beautiful part of the world you're moving to. Good luck
Old 23-02-15, 20:35
Has tools
I Support MacmillanOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Turk, just been thinking. And I have a nagging feeling that you should be ok registering your VAN. Presuming it still has a bulkhead.

As it is a Van the French are not too bothered what is in the back of the Van.

Good luck.
Old 24-02-15, 10:33
Van Expert

what a nice read whilst i drank my morning cuppa have now subscribed to this good luck to you
Old 24-02-15, 13:39
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Re: Goodbye Ratrace ...... a new beginning.

Hi folks,

Many thanks for all the kind comments and words of encouragement, it's very nice to get support from friends and family. Also, positive words from other people shows I'm on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
One of my colleagues is in the process of selling a house 30 minutes away from Limoges, in the Limousin area.

We traveled down from North West of England and back over a weekend earlier this month to bring all his valuable stuff back.

What a beautiful part of the world you're moving to. Good luck

Yes, totally agree Simon, absolutely beautiful. Here's what some estate agents are saying about the region.

"Limousin, known as the Lake District of France can really be best described as the heart of France. Its way of life and its traditions have remained unchanged over the centuries. It really is the 'land where time stood still'.

From crisp winters to hot summers, Limousin is a region of tranquil and serene beauty, boasting mediaeval castles and churches. Limousin is renowned for its clafoutis (a regional form of cherry pie), beef and Aubusson tapestry; however, its tranquil pace of life is what makes many visitors decide to set up home in the region. "

Some well known estate agents are even saying "The secrets out!" hence the property prices are on the up.

Did your mate sell his property Simon, or is it still available ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklouse View Post
Turk, just been thinking. And I have a nagging feeling that you should be ok registering your VAN. Presuming it still has a bulkhead.

As it is a Van the French are not too bothered what is in the back of the Van.

Good luck.

From what I've read Nick, it's the engine mods I'm more concerned about. As far as I understand it, any vehicle that has been modified and is no longer the same as when it left the manufacturers, so not as the manufactures intended, will not pass the 'Certificate Of Conformity' as it no longer conforms to their road safety standards.

I find this all very confusing if anything, what I have done is made the vehicle better. Yes, I've got more power, quicker acceleration, lowered and uprated shocks and suspension. All leading to much better handling. But if they go and put it through VAGCOM diagnostic software, they'll discover it's
no longer 88HP but 126HP ! not to mention the addition of the intercooler !

I hope to look into this in depth at a later date, but as I said earlier I'm in no hurry to sell her.

Many thanks to members who have subscribed to the thread, I'll try and update as often as I can.

To follow ........ the videos. My drive across France

TURK
Old 25-02-15, 19:26
Van Master Jedi
I Support Macmillan

The sale of my mate's property is currently going through. I'll let you know if it doesn't though.

It's in a small hamlet called Montboucher, on the road to Bourganeuf from Limoges. Needs lots of work though, and he's not had the time to get over and do it.

Tags
a new beginning, france

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in