Notices

Old 28-07-15, 04:28
Van Man

Default Be Aware

Hi all. Just thought I'd share this with you all. I saw a van for sale over the weekend advertise in London but when I tried to contact the seller he was in Scotland & viewing the van was not a option. He said he would deliver the van after I'd paid via pay pal.
How can you buy a van without not being able to view it. Thought I'd best give this one a miss. Van details are....
White 2.5tdi with black rs4 alloys YR03 KRS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-07-15, 05:42
Serial Poster

Default Re: Be Aware

Just another scammer.

Farr too many robbing ,thieving scumbags around!

Exactly the same story as one I enquired about 18months ago.

I ended up buying from a main dealer , only place I felt safe to spend my money with .....having said that they are robbing gits but just of a different type.

Keep looking Rich
Old 28-07-15, 07:47
Has tools
I Support MacmillanOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich0398 View Post
Hi all. Just thought I'd share this with you all. I saw a van for sale over the weekend advertise in London but when I tried to contact the seller he was in Scotland & viewing the van was not a option. He said he would deliver the van after I'd paid via pay pal.
How can you buy a van without not being able to view it. Thought I'd best give this one a miss. Van details are....
White 2.5tdi with black rs4 alloys YR03 KRS.
it is n ot stolen it does not exist it is 100% scam.

ebay. gumtree.auto trader. etc are full of them.

Old 30-07-15, 08:20
Van Master Jedi
I Support MacmillanI Support Cancer Research UK

I had a similar thing when selling an old golf that wanted to do a transfer of the money through paypal and would then get the car collected, would never meet the guy and I'm sure I would never see the money. Sent him on his way and never gave it a scond thought but some people might be drawn in by it?
Old 25-11-15, 15:24
Van Rookie

hi just joined the forum and have had a similar scam - sadly i fell for it buying a t 5 lwb 2.5 tdi in blue with ricon disability fittings etc advertised on ebay - the scammers used a very convincing bogus pay pal account so i am 5 k down with no van to show - i reported the scam to the police pay pal ebay and relevant banks - the scum bag claimed to be working in scotland and viewing not possible - i am def not an idiot but with hindsight should have twigged but these scammers need to be stopped to prevent other innocent legit people being had over - the more this forum helps the better as the majority of the main institutes dont really give a damn regards hamish
Old 25-11-15, 15:32
Trade Member
Official TraderVW Transporter

There is a guy on the Just-t4's facebook page who looks into this.

He looks around on ebay and hunt's down scammers. Its actually shocking how many scams he finds with people copying and pasting and hacking files and he posts the adverts up. He found 30 odd adverts in one evening.

He then reports them and gets them blocked.

The guy is pretty awesome.
Old 25-11-15, 15:34
Has tools
I Support MacmillanOfficial MemberVW Transporter

buster Jack or Jack buster.

look at his blog. Ebay should be held acountable for aiding and abetting criminals.
Old 25-11-15, 15:50
Lord of the T4s

Ive been looking on ebay, must have reported 20 - 30 vans by now, and a few on autotrader. I dont even own one yet but Im becoming comfortable with spotting scams, its my duty really as ebay isnt good at dealing with scum and Id hate it to happen to me if someone else saw one and didnt do something.

Some few little things Ive learned over the years :

Ask good technical questions, appear to know your onions so to speak, test the seller not just the vehicle, reasonable questions should always be met with impartial attitude - though Ive even walked away from honest vehicles because I dont trust the dealer or seller. You want also to see all original documents, booklets, service book and paper history like receipts etc, and both keys etc wherever possible.

Phone VW customer services and get what history they hold.

Do an MOT history check.

Always buy from the registered home property of the seller or registered business premises.

Always HPI check etc even if you have to say its formality. Even check with the authorities if you can.

If possible always pay in a way that can be reversed, eg credit card.

Conversely if youre a seller make sure you get payment in a way that cant be reversed, cash, bank transfer. Accepting credit card should not be an issue if youre a business or trader. Though with large sums of cash its risky, Ive even hear of sellers insisting doing the cash transaction in a banks and having the money checked!

Get a signed, written receipt with the sellers name, address, and basic descriptive details of the vehicle such as you might expect the police to need and get it dated and the transaction sum and method noted. Which have a good downloadable template.

http://www.whatcar.com/images/subscr...carreceipt.pdf

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...scontract.html

https://www.resourcegroup.co.uk/medi...es-invoice.pdf

Make sure the V5 is present, they do get lost but normally youd expect that of an auction lemon not a private seller, you should use your judgement and know if you trust the seller or not by this stage.

Always get a receipt and make sure the V5 is completed fully and verify the details on it vs the seller and the vehicle very closely, even check the vin numbers etc.

If possible before, or immediately after purchase try to get a past ownership summary from the DVLA.

The minute you own it sit down and closely inspect every detail of information.

If its a high value but highly desireable vehicle an honest seller should have no problem with you asking to submit the vehicle for an inspection, AA etc the cost isnt much vs an expensive motor and it could give you some comeback should you need it.

I also then inspect the vehicle top to bottom I cant drive in comfort and security until I know the true state of the vehicle, I always find something missed or passed over even with the best will in the world on the part of the seller!

Mk1 eyeball, is the wear and tear generally more or less than you would expect for mileage etc.

Research all you can generally on you intended vehicle, places like here for example.

Find a place like this where you can track back on a vehicles history and buy from a member, from my experience its a good way to get a better chance of a trouble free well maintained example.

Last edited by mindriot; 25-11-15 at 16:05.
Old 25-11-15, 15:59
Old Git in a T4
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Re: Be Aware

Don't put photos of your vehicle showing the Reg number, on the Internet.
Old 25-11-15, 17:01
Van Pro

And don't use photoshop to colour out your reg number.
My old man is a dab hand with it and tells me you can just remove the coloured over part as it appears as just a layer over the existing photo (not that I have a clue)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in