Notices

Old 04-08-15, 13:03
Van Guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default LT or Crafter?

I'm looking at what big vans are available for sale at the moment, and I'm not sure what to go for. I've been looking at LWB LTs, do I pay £1500 for a high mileage battered one, or do I go for a nice low mileage one for about £6000? This brings another question though, as the high mileage Crafters are down near that price now...

So is it worth going for a Crafter instead of an LT? I understand the engines are generally less reliable, but how much of an issue is that in the real world? Are there any marked benefits either way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-15, 14:25
Van Master Jedi

Default Re: LT or Crafter?

No definitive answer TBH.

Scan through the threads in this section and you'll see a lot have debated the same question(s).

Down to what is important to you and what you think the risks really are.

Possible Pros of Crafter
- More possible gizmos e.g. Elec Windows, AirCon, Bluetooth Connections, Cruise Control
- Longer term availability of parts (Say 10 years from now)
- It's a smidge wider than an LT which could be important if you are thinking of sleeping widthways

Possible Cons
- More eletrickery to go wrong (dpf regen etc)
- Some bad press on reliability and cost of repair. E.g. if an injector goes in an LT you can replace it, if it goes in the crafter you are replacing the rail.
- High mileage models going cheap are very likely to have been pushed very hard.

With regard to the 1500 to 6000 question, again down to your feeling on what you are after. If you can live with a high mileage van with a lower end, but perfectly functional conversion then no probs, but if you want something with a bit of higher end resale value then it's the higher end vehicle.

What i noticed with a similar range of base vehicle budget was that good condition versions of these vehicles are pretty hard to come by in either LT or Crafter variants.

I saw two very good ones over a couple of months and they both disappeared in a flash.

Dig through a couple of the build threads, there are enough of each variant to get a feel for it.

I went LT owing to a combination of time to get started on converting and overall budget. I felt to get the right base Crafter or Sprinter I was going to be into the 8-10 Grand Range for base vehicle.

That said you may get lucky and the market might change

Gone Big on the Self Build....LWB LT35 Big....
Old 04-08-15, 15:42
Van Guru

Ha, I've spent the last few days going through the whole forum! Still not sure which is best...

I think I will go for the cheaper end, a bit of work will make it interesting and I'm not afraid of high mileage as long as the engine is worth it, my Passat is just about to tick over 250k. I just wondered if it was worth investing more money into the base van. I'm not too bothered about resale as whatever I get would be a keeper.

Old 04-08-15, 20:04
Van Guru

my view only,
i`ve had and run both, still have the lt, its 11yrs old 440,000 miles on her, still all as come new (except brakes clutch tyres etc)
it has electric mirrors + heated, electric windows, no dpf no cat never failed an mot, starts first time every time, heater you can get close to burning yourself on parts are cheap now and returns 30mpg if driven respectfully, has some rust spots showing but not anything to worry about,

the other thing i had was the sprinter version, but have had the crafter two weeks after they came out only for a short while though, was nice to drive.

the sprinter, well over priced, nice to drive like the crafter, gearboxes feel weak bigger cabs than the lt and more headroom in the cargo area, the problem with both sprinter and crafter to many electrical parts to go wrong and empty your pockets + hard to find a garage with mechanics who know what their doing with them,

if i had 6000 and was after another van i would find a lt with good body + not worry to much about mileage if is around 100,000 or so as long as its been serviced right,
if you do strike lucky with an lt, two jobs to do soon as possible, 1 change the cam belt + pump belt and do it every 75,000,(book says higher but ignore it) 2 change oil + filter every 12000, engine will last a long time
Old 07-11-16, 08:37
Van Guru

I'm revisiting this a year on as I'm ready to make a purchase (finally). I've had enough of my car, I was going to fix all its little issues and sell it on but it's come to a point where I just want to see the back of it even if I take a hit on the resale price.

With the latest developments on emissions and the government's stance on diesel, I'm wondering if a Crafter is the better long-term option. Is this a legitimate concern or I am worrying for nothing?

I'm also thinking the better fuel consumption, availability of "toys", ergonomy of the cab, and resale value in a few years time may be valid positives compared to the LT.

Then again, I'll probably get a nider LT for the same money, and there are fewer bits to go wrong on it.

So, a year on, is the answer still 50/50?
Old 10-11-16, 07:54
Electrifying!!!
Official TraderVW Transporter

In your price range I would deffinately seek out a nice LT. High mileage Crafters can be a money pit and will break your heart. If you can find an LT with the ATA engine (2.8) even better. No cam belts and no fuel electronics. I love mine and don't miss any of the more modern gizmos that you might get with a Crafter. It just feels like it will run forever. I think that you are probably reading too much into the diesel emissions thing, certainly in our life time.

Electrics for camper vans and work vehicles.
www.travelvolts.net

INFO Text call back to 07971 165747 or travelvolts@gmail.com
NO PRIVATE MESSAGES PLEASE!
Old 10-11-16, 08:24
Van Guru

Thanks, I am a little worried about DPF, DMF, Cat etc going wrong with a high mileage as there is no way to know how the van was driven... I'll look for a nice LT.

A 158 is the aim, there aren't too many about though and most of them are in the 46... I need to weigh up the pros and cons of that still.
Old 10-11-16, 09:16
Electrifying!!!
Official TraderVW Transporter

The ATA is the same engine without the electronics on the fuel side. 136 BHP and less to go wrong.

Electrics for camper vans and work vehicles.
www.travelvolts.net

INFO Text call back to 07971 165747 or travelvolts@gmail.com
NO PRIVATE MESSAGES PLEASE!
Old 10-11-16, 17:30
Van Man

I have an LT46 158.

They're getting rare now but worth seeking out a good one - if it's really what you want.

Mine is downrated to 3.5t so it beats the congestion zone too (for now - until they change the rules again).

Bearing in mind the newest ones are now 10 years old, will need to look hard if it's what you really want.

They're simpler to maintain than a Crafter overall - but worth remembering these are a much older design, so the technology and interiors in the cab are far simpler and much more 'agricultural' !

It's what I like - but it's not for everyone.

The 158 is the one to go for - bags of torque. Just make sure the injectors are good as they're not that easy a DIY replacement job and they cost £££ss, and check the intercoolers - they blow the ends out but are easy to replace.

Old 11-11-16, 12:16
Van Guru

Thanks Upspex, I didn't realise there was 2 versions of the 2.8, that's good to know.

TheBeast, thanks for the advice, I saw your van on the Crafter forum but haven't been allowed to post yet... How do you find the MPG on the 46? I'm wondering how much the twin-wheel setup affects it... What was your reasoning behind getting the 46 instead of the 35?

I'm happy enough with the cab in the LT to be fair, the Crafter is a nicer place to be but I am planning to upgrade a fair bit in the van anyway so it won't be a big drawback. One thing I would love is cruise control though, it's so nice being able to move my right foot on long journeys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in