Notices

Old 22-11-10, 18:59
Lord of the T4s
I Support Cancer Research UK

Default Re: Carbon Monoxide

Tesco doing a good range of cheap CO2 detectors that take batteries- lasts for 5 YEARS!!!

Please bear in mind there are usually 2 types of gas detector- one that does CO2 and one that detects gas such as methane/ ether etc. (although the more expensive ones do both im sure).

Spend 10 now- live to see the sun getting up the next morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25-01-11, 20:49
Van Guru
Help For Heroes

if you are going to get an alarm then get a decent "all in one" that detects Carbon monoxide as well as LPG & Narcotic gas

Looking around for one for our van these are the best I've found, not that pricey either (Under 60) : http://www.sola-larm.com/sla863.html

As for smoke alarms try to fit an Optical detector (Better suited to motorhome use) rather than the cheaper Ionisation type detectors.
Old 12-03-11, 20:21
Van Man

After buying a smoke / co detector please please please do not put a cheapskate battery in it!!! The times I used to sell smoke detectors & then the buyer would buy a 50p battery NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy a duracell or an energizer, surely your life is worth more than 50p!!!!

Old 24-04-11, 00:52
Van Jedi

Location: Bournemouth. 2.5tdi 102bhp 115k 1997, lwb hitop camper

What's really needed is all the gas bits to on the outside with doors that blow outwards in a fire, so all of it isn't even in the sleeping compartment. But where would that be fitted? Also, bear in mind that safety pressure release valves are generally designed to work with the canister vertical.
Had a fire training course last week and blew some canisters up. One of those small camping cans is enough to blow the doors off and kill everyone inside if it gets too hot.

-j
Old 29-08-11, 14:28
Serial Poster
I Support Cancer Research UK

Well a good friend of ours and past forum member has had recently had a serious scare through Carbon Monoxide....using a dying Cobb and CobbStone to heat an awning after cooking tea...it ended up in a 999 call and hospital..all safe and well now Thank God...

I'd reckon theres lots of us Cobb owners who have used them to heat the awning in this way...I now won't be..very Scary Stuff..
Old 23-11-11, 20:55
Serial Poster
I Support CLIC Sargent

These are 50 plus in caravan shops. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Discover-D...83809979261157

Mine detected a gas leak from my Smev cooker in a matter of minutes. It's permanently connected to the leisure batteries inside my cupboards & I'm considering another one to put outside the cupboards even though we always turn the valve off on the bottle after use. 16 is an absolute bargain.

Last edited by alan.surry; 23-11-11 at 21:05.
Old 05-01-12, 18:13
Van Master Jedi

Ebay Item number: 370547062160
Old 18-02-12, 12:39
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC SargentHelp For Heroes

I bought this, smoke and CO

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kidde-0122UK...9572320&sr=8-4

Last edited by tonyr1664; 21-02-12 at 22:18.
Old 19-02-12, 15:31
Van Guru

To those who are a bit confused, like me: CO2 is not Carbon Monoxide, it's Carbon Dioxide. CO is Carbon Monoxide.

CO/Carbon Monoxide is deadly; it's colourless, odourless, and tasteless. It forms when there is not enough oxygen to produce CO2/Carbon Dioxide; that's why people commit suicide by running a car engine in a garage. You won't even know it's happening. The Nazis used CO as one of their extermination gases, ironically in vans. Those s knew a thing or two about deadly gases.

SO, STAY SAFE PEOPLE!!!
Old 28-02-12, 09:56
Van Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbourmaster View Post
To those who are a bit confused, like me: CO2 is not Carbon Monoxide, it's Carbon Dioxide. CO is Carbon Monoxide.

CO/Carbon Monoxide is deadly; it's colourless, odourless, and tasteless. It forms when there is not enough oxygen to produce CO2/Carbon Dioxide; that's why people commit suicide by running a car engine in a garage. You won't even know it's happening. The Nazis used CO as one of their extermination gases, ironically in vans. Those s knew a thing or two about deadly gases.

SO, STAY SAFE PEOPLE!!!
Good point Harbour, for those of us who weren't that attentive in Chemistry classes this entire discussion was a bit confusing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in