Notices

Old 13-04-16, 09:55
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Another eBay scam

Another scam on eBay, listed as in Liverpool but when contacted its in Scotland due to 'work commitments' Seller 'Amy' stated ' My current location is Scotland due to my work commitments. If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for 6,900 delivered at my costs. The deal will go through eBay and PayPal.' Email addresses used: amy@salme.co.uk or foster32@salme.co.uk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2721749041...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2010 T5.1 2.0TDi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-04-16, 10:18
Has tools
I Support MacmillanOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Another eBay scam

not a stolen van just a scam.
Old 13-04-16, 10:45
Van Jedi

Think we need a scam section too then.

2010 T5.1 2.0TDi

Old 14-04-16, 17:38
Van Pro

I contacted that person too and left my mobile number, then got a reply from Amy as a text message the next day.

If you are still interested in the 2006 VW T5 Transporter T30 please contact me at: 2006VWT5T30@mdglobal.co.uk
Old 14-04-16, 17:40
Van Pro

Then there was an email from someone called Davide. Conning snots! Got to be so careful these days.

Hello,

The van is still for sale in excellent condition, with no damages or any faults. All necessary documents available. My current location is Scotland due to my work commitments. If this is going to be a quick sale, I will let it go for 7,100 delivered at my costs.
The deal will go strictly according to eBay and PayPal rules and policy.

Thank you
Davide
Old 14-04-16, 18:33
T5 2.5TDi LWB CamperShuttle
Official TraderVW Transporter

How much do we think that van is actually worth?

I am intrigued by a scam that is selling something at not a big bargain price and still think people will send money, etc without viewing (my T5 through an Auto Trader advert was a better deal then this one!)

Radio Fitting Kits HERE
My T5 Shuttle Build Thread
Old 15-04-16, 13:57
Van Pro

I don't know mate, I can't find the advert anymore, but to be honest the picture was of a really nice T5 with all the right bits and pieces and low mileage, definitely worth more than they were advertising it for.

I still haven't figured out what the scam is, as in, how are they trying to rip people off. I guess they want you to pay money to them as a deposit and then you'll never hear from them again, but as they want to use PayPal, isn't the buyer protected from fraud anyway?
I find it a bit odd that there's a load of cars and vans at the moment for sale with this similar type of scam feel about them. The seller usually has 100% feedback for about a 100 or so transactions, if you check the feedback they're all buying of small things, and the buyer normally has a bunch of really nice cars listed all under priced. Then the wording in the ad always says something like, provide your mobile number or you won't get an immediate response, or something like that. Also each advert seems to be real apart from the added bit about the mobile number, like they've copied other peoples adverts or something.
Old 15-04-16, 14:48
Van Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideal_dog View Post
I don't know mate, I can't find the advert anymore, but to be honest the picture was of a really nice T5 with all the right bits and pieces and low mileage, definitely worth more than they were advertising it for.

I still haven't figured out what the scam is, as in, how are they trying to rip people off. I guess they want you to pay money to them as a deposit and then you'll never hear from them again, but as they want to use PayPal, isn't the buyer protected from fraud anyway?
I find it a bit odd that there's a load of cars and vans at the moment for sale with this similar type of scam feel about them. The seller usually has 100% feedback for about a 100 or so transactions, if you check the feedback they're all buying of small things, and the buyer normally has a bunch of really nice cars listed all under priced. Then the wording in the ad always says something like, provide your mobile number or you won't get an immediate response, or something like that. Also each advert seems to be real apart from the added bit about the mobile number, like they've copied other peoples adverts or something.

The ad is marked as ended but is still there is you search (click on "see original listing" in small print after headline) but price has disappeared. In this case the seller had no eBay history or rating and only opened the account less than a month ago. However this time they had no other items for sale. Most of these scammers have numerous rip off ads for different vehicles all listed on the same day. No mention of PayPal in the ad only an email to say they will use PayPal rules but who knows they would probably want a bank transfer or some other dodge, but I don't think PayPal provides any protection eBay certainly doesn't for motors!

Last edited by Y2BUG; 15-04-16 at 14:54. Reason: Update
Old 15-04-16, 15:14
Van Pro

Ah right mate, I couldn't remember the exact details of this particular advert.

I had been trying to find a decent T5 for a while, and kept finding these 'a bit too good to be true' adverts on eBay, Gumtree and even autotrader!
Most of the ones I looked at or contacted had a similar type of write up, and there was always some sort of delay getting a reply which always came through being a bit suspicious. That person called Amy text me back from two totally different adverts, and the text somehow had no number displayed, just came through from Amy as if it was a stored contact. I couldn't call the number, on text it, and after I did I got some pile of bull back both times about shipping to me at their expense if I make it a fast deal.
Old 15-04-16, 15:28
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideal_dog View Post

The key bit is that they claim to deliver it.

You pay the amount to a Paypal account which they say will hold the money. In the mean time they apparently deliver the van to you, if you decline the sale, they take the van back and you get your money back. If you want the van, they apparently leave the van and the money is then released to them. Of course that never actually happens.

What does happen is, you pay the money to a fake paypal account and they have it. Of course you havent been to their property to even look at the van, so no address for them etc.

Tags
scam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in