VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Recon Turbo??

5K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  joe taylor 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Apparantly I need a turbo unit for my '02 2.5tdi. Garage has quoted me £900 fitted!! :eek:

So question is: Does anybody know a good reliable source of recon turbo's?

Please help a damsel in distress...............

#3 ·
origional is a kkk k14 . 600 quid for a recon . vw want 620 plus vat for a new unit with a 220 surcharge until you send old unit back for them to destroy so ppl cant recon them !, fitting is not the easiest job , manifold is a bit of a pain , so fittiing plus profit 900 sounds about right , but i wouldnt pay it cause i am tight Rasp:
kieran

#12 ·
Off Turbo Technics website -

10. Warranty and liability
10.1.1 Subject to the conditions set out below the Seller warrants
that the Goods will correspond with their specifications at the time
of delivery and will be free from defects in material and
workmanship for a period of 24 months for a turbo chargers (or, if
appropriate, 24,000 miles in service should this occur sooner) and
12 months for all other products from the date of delivery.

#16 ·
hi Kate?. This may be a long shot but here goes,are there any large plant hire companys in your area,if so have a word with on of thier fitters with turbo rebuild experience,i know you can buy turbo rebuild kits, have rebuilt a few in the past he may be able to get the kit at trade price,and lets say for 100 beer tokens or so may do the job for you. Long shot but worth looking into. T:

#17 ·
www.turbocharger-solutions.co.uk quoted me £300 +VAT + carriage for a recon turbo.
Cats and Carbs quoted me £275 +VAT to rebuild mine, or £425+VAT for a brand new unit.

In the end I went for neither, it was only the actuator that was broke and get that welded for free.

Getting the turbo off is a pain in the backside as the inlet manifold has to come off. This is held in with 8 x 6mm allen bolts - 1,2,3 and 6,7,8 are easy to get out - 4 and 5 involves reaching around the manifold at full stretch using only your finger tips to undo with no space to do a decent turn of the allen key..

Once thats off there are bolts on the turbo that look impossible to get to - i ended up leaving the turbo on and just took the actuator off.

Getting it all back together is also a pain. I'm no mechanic and have fingers like sausages, so took me longer than I imagine it would take a pro, but it took me about 5 hours all together to get it off, and about 4 hours to get it all back on - that was including breaks for coffee and lots of swearing and getting angry.

If you go with the garage and pay the £900 make sure that includes all new gaskets and seals

#24 ·
hi dantro, the i/c should be dry,however depending on high milleage,worn engine parts can cause back preasure in the engine and force oil vapour into the reburn system. What im trying to tell Kate is if there is excessive oil in the i/c then more than likely its the turbo seals have failed.

#27 ·
Aww Stuey, thanks for that hun- but I'm now thinking a toolbox (with spanners instead of nail files) could be a good investment here.

Errrr, think I'm gonna have to be in the lap of the garages (no pun intended hehehee).

Will let you know the developments over the weekend!

Thankies everyone for your help to date.

Now, where's that 'singles' section..........................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.