VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

T5 fuel economy

52K views 67 replies 54 participants last post by  CaddyMaxiRHD 
#1 ·
I'm changing my work van in the near future and after discounting the Transit due to poor fuel consumption I thought, why not keep it in the family and get a T5.

So I'm just wondering what sort of fuel consumption everyone gets driving their T5 normally and also in a slightly spirited mood? Obviously engine size, bhp and model would be handy to know.

#3 ·
Hi
I have 2009 SWB 5 pot 130 horses, 32k on clock. Loaded up all the time and roof bars. Mixed driving longish and short journeys, hardly ever do the same distance or route twice. All local driving.

450ish fuel light to fuel light, which is about 70 litres

Makes no difference if I have my steelies on with 205 width or my 18" alloys on with 235 width

Cheers Clive:)

#11 ·
Modified 174 approx. 235 bhp all type of driving with load and part load average over 2000 miles according to the computer thing 26.4 mpg

#15 ·
19TDI 102 lwb t32 was getting 33mpg (running round town) since putting 2stroke in it seem to have fell to 27 Iwas expecting a improvement but it was due its long-life service got 15000 mile out the longlife oil and a month before servicewas due (.Service know done and put back to time and distance.Will see what i get now i`ve had it serviced:confused:

#16 ·
SWB standard roof, panel 140 DSG (chipped to about 175ps) 15k miles - 33.5mpg mixed driving plus regular 20mile 80mph runs (plausible deniability re the speed?!) generally running unladen or with a

On a longer run without the chip at 80'ish - 37.1mpg

All checked brimmed tank to tank.

#17 ·
2.5 tdi 130 2006 lwb medium top converted to camper with 133k. just did 3200 miles round europe at 65 mph on holiday, average was 35.4 mpg, cruising at 80 is about 30-31. currently have winter tyres on so isnt as econimacal as with normal ;) everything improves by 2 at that point

#26 ·
2010 kombi on 11200 miles, usually has the seats and all my work tools in back, best i've managed is 38.2 (very boring) worst ive had was 28mpg (lots of fun but not very legal). i'd say most tanks i get more than 33mpg.

Currently saving all the pennies i can find for a remap and cruise control which im hoping will improve things a wee bit as well.

#29 ·
2011 LWB 180 6 speed panel van no mods at all, no roof bars and generally just me in it with a fairly light load in the back averaging 450 to a full tank with 25 0 30 mpg on most trips. From 0 miles and now at 7.5K and economy hasn't changed much. I haven't really been trying to be economic though to be fair ;)

I'm currently on a bit of an economy drive (no pun intended ) and managing to get 33 - 35 mpg on the computer for mixed drives.

I've starting keeping a bit of a log on fuelly.com to watch it as the mileage increases. Not many T5's are registered on there to compare with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.