VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Tips for spraying bumpers?

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  samgbarnes 
#1 ·
What sort of steps should i go through to prep and spray my bumpers. The vans a 1997 t4 panel in the standard white that most are, but probably faded a bit over the years, and has standard black plastic bumpers, but just wanted to know a couple things.

-What to use to rub down bumper ready for paint?

-Is a primer needed and what sort of primer?

-Where to get proper colour coded plastic paint?

-Steps to get a good finish eg. thin coat, wet/dry paper, more coats then lacquer?

-How to protect it once finished from 'flaking'?

Getting a bit bored of the plastic now, fancy a bit of a change, and i have some rust to sort out on the metal work anyway so would be nice to do all the pain at the same time

Sam

See less See more
#2 ·
When I did mine, first I gave them a good clean then sprayed them with adhesion promoter. Next was some acrylic high build primer I used paint that should be thinned and sprayed on using a spray gun but I didnt thin it and painted it on with a brush. I then sanded it down smooth with wet and dry. When I did my dash I sanded the dash before painting, its easier to paint then sand smooth. Next was the colour coat rattle cans and some more wet and dry then finally the laquer rattle cans. Been on for a year now and no flaking:)

#3 ·
Ahh nice, sounds pretty straight forward then.

With the lacquer did it not come out 'over shiny' or did it fit well with the rest of the paintwork? My vans paint is pretty old and has lost its shine, but i spose i will have to make that decision after i have sprayed the colour.

Also did you get your colour matched or just go by the paint code?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.