VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Experiences with the Diesel Particulate Filter?

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Brian Considine 
#1 ·
Late 2008 T5, 2.5 BNZ diesel engine, high-roof van with a custom conversion by Leisuredrive.

This is my first ‘modern’ vehicle, the previous one being a 1987 T25, before that a 1975 T2 (oh happy, uncomplicated days). The van is running fine, 19k miles on the clock, composed of very few trips of under 30 miles and mostly much longer (I bought it new). At present we are in the Vanoise area of the French Alps, supposedly on a mountaineering trip, but . . .

The first problem arose about 30 miles out of Dunkirk, Engine Management warning light came on. Being virgins in all this computerised ECU stuff, we headed for the nearest VW garage (Auto-Expo in Hazebrouck) where they plugged it in to their lappie and installed a new ‘capteur de pression’ (pressure sensor? My French is of sub-schoolboy standard and my wife’s a bit less), relieving us of €113 and the angst of that warning light.

All was ok for the next 5 days, good weather and some nice days in the mountains, then – and I don’t know if this is relevant but will mention it anyway – we drove up to the Col de l’Iseran (2769m and allegedly the highest road pass in Europe) for a traverse of the Leissiére tops. The van coped fine, but I noticed on the way back that we were more or less down in the valley before the temperature needle moved off the minimum. Hmmmm, but not a problem I assumed.

Next day though – leisurely descent from the Mont Cenis col (2083m) and the DPF warning light came on, followed shortly by the glow plug light, and a bit later by the EM light. We did consider solving the difficulty with bits of gaffer tape over the lights as the van was still running perfectly well, but caution prevailed and we sought out another VW place, Jean Lain in St Jean-de-Maurienne. Long and short of it – they did some sort of ‘update’(?) procedure, DPF is at 90%, taking their advice to thrash the van up and down an autoroute at high revs for 50km or more didn’t clear it, so we’re provisionally booked in for next Friday to get it replaced, at a very ‘ballpark’ cost of €1000.

Now, on some things I can contemplate that sort of expenditure with regret perhaps but with equanimity. However, to fix an engine that has nothing functionally wrong with it – that has me seething.

Advice and comments would be most welcome. In particular, what if any damage is likely to occur to the engine by driving moderately about alpine roads for the rest of this week? Or indeed by driving back to the UK on autoroutes at a steady 60mph?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not to sure on the DPF systems on wot could happen if nothing is done to it but I had mine deleted with a custom remap so I would never have the problem of the DPF repair bills.
1 of the best people to speak to is Martin from PendlePerformance as he's done many DPF deletions and might be able to help you out

#10 ·
+1 for Martin at Pendle Performance. I had my DPF taken out and ECU tune with him. My Caravelle is performing great since it was done. It a 2006 with 45k on it. It's been around 7k since the job was done and I've had no problems including passing the emissions test in our NCT, equivalent of your MOT.

I'd say take it out, for less trouble and a better performing van.

#5 ·
Just an update on how things panned out, if anyone's interested.

We kept the appointment with the VW place in St Jean, but as it happened due to communication problems they hadn't ordered the new filter, so we said adieu rather than au revoir and headed north on the autoroutes, all 3 lights on and, mindful of Dazboi's warning, fire extinguisher handy. No sign of 'limp home' mode or any other problem though.

We stopped for 3 nights in Troyes (lovely little city, btw, and a great campsite), then on towards Paris on the A5. Gave it some mild boot and, whatdyaknow, after 50 miles at 2000 -2200 revs - the DPF light went out! Stopped for lunch at an aire, and on starting up again the glowplug light went out too. Just the EM light now, and the cruise control came back on - things were looking up, and the saving of €1000+ was welcome, to say the least.

The van stood for another 3 days in a Paris suburb (neither of us much fancied tangling with the city traffic and we went in and out by RER), then on starting up for the last leg to Dunkirk the EM light bowed out too, and the van winged its way back to Scotland in fine style.

So, what conclusions? I accept that diesel particulates are a problem, in cities at least, but this filter seems a hopelessly ill-thought-out solution. I rarely take the van into any city, and once the 3 year warranty runs out later this year some surgery at Pendle Performance is on the cards.

#7 ·
Sounds like the van you bought may have been tootled about and therefore the filter blocked. Giving it a good run has cleaned it out with a regeneration and its all fine now and at little cost. Imagine, knowing what you do now, how you would feel if you bought another dpf ....

Options, stay as is and monitor it, or see Martin at Pendle Performance and get it removed with no emissions/mot comebacks and be free of potential hassles from this system.

HTH

#11 ·
Sounds like the van you bought may have been tootled about and therefore the filter blocked.
I've had the van from new, and if tootling about means going to the shops and around town, then absolutely not, I've got a bike for that. However quite a lot of the mileage (only just turned 20k) has been in the Scottish highlands and on mountain roads, and when on motorways and the like I've tended, for economy/environmental reasons, to keep to around 60mph, 1900rpm in 6th. If this is the cause of the problem, then maybe VW should amend their adverts - 'Don't buy this van unless you're prepared to thrash it up and down the m/ways on a regular basis, or else be prepared to shell out a 4 figure sum every year or so. Oh, and don't even think about claiming on the warranty, we class the DPF as a consumable like oil or tyres'.

I've read somewhere, this forum or another, that VW discourage Channel Islanders from buying DPF-equipped vehicles, so I suppose that's a start.

#9 ·
PTT in Louth (on here, have a search), do a replacement pipe that runs from the turbo to the first box. Its stainless and includes a threaded hole for the lambda or oxygen sensor too. Its not that simple though as the system needs cancelling by changes to the software.

As for the MOT, mine has just gone through its test no problems. Currently its a smoke test... as for the future, I think there have been posts on tech changes (Bobley, I thought you had posted on this yourself..?), but I think these are remapping but TBH, I am not completely sure.

#12 ·
Ah - ha. There will be a section in your owners manual on how to drive a dpf vehicle. Basically if its blocked, a regen can be done by driving at a set rpm for a period of time..... its a funny system. If you can drive to the way the dpf needs to be I guess its ok. If not, its difficult..

There is a lot on here about these filters and I think an official VW document... have a search.

#14 ·
I don't really think it's fair to slag VW off - after all they have had to fit all this environmental to keep the tree-huggers & Brussels happy.

All a waste of time when you see how much real pollution was caused during the recent riots (& if you want to see some mre real pollution just watch "Destroyed in Seconds" a couple of time).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.