Notices

Old 30-01-17, 12:16
Van Guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: New LT project!

It was a great first trip in the van, everything worked as expected and the space works well for 2 of us. My furniture isn't great though, the toilet door has started warping and I feel like everything is just built too thin, so I'll redo all the "faces" using proper 18mm furniture board in the spring. I also have a few ideas to fix everything to the van better.

Next move will be to re-route the electrics. I'm happy that everything works but I found out my current location doesn't really give me any access should I need to do anything, even change a fuse, so I'll redo that. I've had time to think about my bed and storage setup so this will be updated using a slightly different approach to everyday storage.

Another big thing was to make sure the outside of the van was spotless, all rust spots treated, repainted, etc. That was a plan for later, however I caught a mate's gatepost (looking right while trying to edge the van to the left, numpty!), and now I almost need a new sliding door. It'll be expensive to get one and get the window fitted again so I'll see if I can fix it first, then do the rest of the bodywork while I'm at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-17, 07:25
Van Master Jedi

Sounds like a good first outing. Also sounds like you're going to change a fair few bits ! Thought about changing part of our layout...then rememebred how much effort and time had to go in first time round and quickly forgot the idea

Gone Big on the Self Build....LWB LT35 Big....
Old 12-03-17, 13:43
Van Guru

Right, time to think about updating the van!

I've not done anything to it yet, I've mostly been enjoying not having to rush around at every spare moment to get it ready. Our next proper trip is planned for the beginning of May though, and I want to take the bike with us, so I need to get cracking with the rest of the conversion!

I have planned a lot of changes and will almost rebuilt the whole thing, but this time I feel like I know what I'm doing so it should be a lot quicker.

The only thing I haven't decided on yet is the location of the water tanks. I found that onboard tanks take a lot of space, and I'm always worried about leaks, so I want to fit tanks under the chassis. Who's done this on an LT? Ideally I would want a 70-80l fresh tank to feed my sink and basin, and either a single waste tank for both or a waste tank for each. The sink and basin are located on either side of the van but "facing" each other, so a single tank may be possible if it can clear the prop and the exhaust.

Old 13-03-17, 07:36
Electrifying!!!
Official TraderVW Transporter

Have a look on the CAK Tanks website.

Electrics for camper vans and work vehicles.
www.travelvolts.net

INFO Text call back to 07971 165747 or travelvolts@gmail.com
NO PRIVATE MESSAGES PLEASE!
Old 13-03-17, 12:14
Van Guru

Thanks Martyn, I looked at their website and it seems they can do pretty much anything, I was hoping someone would have set something up that I could use as a reference, so I know what to expect.

I'll be speaking with CAK Tanks and Barratt Tanks to see what they can do, plus any others I can find.
Old Today, 07:36
Van Guru

Time to start the re-work on the interior!

I have thought through several possibilities and I am thinking now that a framework clad in thin ply is my most cost effective option, and it will make it easy to hide cabling runs in the cavities.

I went to the motorhome show in Harrogate at the weekend, did a little homework (found that very shiny panels is very much in fashion right now!), and got a few ideas for storage.

Here's the progress so far:

I feel like I know what I'm doing now so the progress should be fairly quick this time around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in