VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Rear Registration/Number Plate Bolts

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Plummer1 
#1 ·
I removed my rear plate to put my private one on and realised the previous owner had just screwed it on with self tappers directly into the steel! So I have a couple of holes to treat now.

However the holes in the door to take the plate are actually bolt hole. Does anyone know what size of bolt it takes? Seems really odd as its quite a big looking bolt. Or are these holes to take a number plate holder?

#3 ·
Not uncommon from some shoddy dealers.

Ours had plastic inserts from new that took a #8 pan head self tap. The head fits into a license plate yellow screw cover. You can get them from Halfords etc..

On the other hand there are plastic number plate bolts something like M5 - what about those?

Your extra holes need a screw and sealer.

#7 ·
A bit old skool for me screwing number plates on I:

Double sided number plate tape is the way to go .

If you buy proper stuff they will not fall off and if someone tries to rip them off without cutting through the tape first then they'll break the plate before it comes off.

Also stops the water getting in and separating the number plate .

#8 ·
I noticed my tailgate has rivnuts.

As i have a smaller personalised plate, they are just visible.

The dealership installed my shorter personalised plate sitting on a standard see through honeycomb plastics frame:(

looks awful, i have a nice plate and 75mm on either side i have a plate holder

I won't be home till next week, so i can't tell you the nut size, sorry

As soon as i'm get my Festool Kapex out of storage, that plastic trim is coming off and getting trimmed, so its not visible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.