VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

LPG Installation - Expert Answers to Dumb Questions

37K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Hambo 58 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Having read various differing views on gas safety and requirements I thought I would ask the experts. An article in MMM Motorhome Monthly Magazine a few months ago provided the contact list and this is what I sent on the 19th March:
Mick's enquiry letter said:
I am undertaking a panel van to campervan conversion and there are no end of ‘LPG experts’ on the internet. Can you please advise me on the following points, are these legal requirements or advisory for campervans carrying LPG/propane/butane?

LPG sticker on the back of the vehicle
LPG cylinder/s in a sealed locker
Gas locker to be lined with metal
Drop out vents
Replacement of rubber hose every 5 years
Is there a maximum quantity of LPG permitted to be carried in camper van
Annual Gas Safe certificate required

Thanks

Mick
It was sent to these people :
Gaslow, BP and Truma ….. no reply :*
FESauto gas …. Automated reply & nothing elseI:
UKLPG ….apparently ” the trade association for the LPG industry” …. Just read how helpful they were …. Not !!:jd

Anyway here are the replies …….. the helpful replies come later T:
FESautogas said:
FESautogas ….

Thank you for the E-mail enquiry.

If you are emailing a request for a parts order or need an urgent reply on your email enquiry, can we suggest you call our office to make sure we have your Email and we handle it promptly.

We are also doing some great package deals on Dream EOBD Injection systems. Kits, tanks, sender and fillpoints for minimal prices when bought together.

Fax 0845 230 1829 or 01286 882098
Telephone 0845 230 1819 or 01286 882097
www.fesautogas.co.uk www.autogastanks.co.uk
They obviously value their customers and service … ??? I think I’ll give their great deals a miss.

The 2 replies from UKLPG “the trade association for the LPG industry” left me wide mouthed…..:eek:
UKLPG said:
7th April
This is a complex area and you would be best advised to contact Gas Safe Register.

Broadly unless the van is being made in a factory the work needs to be done by an appropriately qualified Gas Safe Registered installer who can also give advice. :jdThere is a British Standard, BS5482 part 2 which is relevant and you should be able to get sight at a local library.

Sorry we cannot help more.
Jeff Watson
Technical Manager, UKLPG
……and wrong !
UKLPG said:
And 26th March

We regret that we cannot give you guidance of this type. We suggest you contact the National Caravan Council, the Camping and Caravanning club and most importantly the GasSafe Register.

Sorry we cannot help more.

Jeff Watson
Technical Manager, UKLPG
So much for “the trade association for the LPG industry”

BP Gas Light were also not very helpful ……
22March

BP Gas Light said:
Good Afternoon Mick,

Thank you for your enquiry, I have enclosed the latest contact information for LPG UK who will be able to answer your questions regarding the legalities for storage of propane/butane bottles onboard your caravan.

You may ask them to send you a copy of the code of practise 24 - Part 3 Appendix 2 which will answer your storage question.
Kind Regards
Vivienne
Gas Light Team:*
Anyway CALOR however were more helpful on 24th March
CALOR said:
Dear Mr. Brookes,
The subject of motor homes is fairly complicated and covered by several different standards - BS5482 Part 2. BS EN 721, BS EN 1949 and 1645 - 6 being the main ones and are available from HMSO.
Other issues are the appliance selection and installation testing. (Safety checks covered by the UKLPG Code of Practice 21)
Apart from that I will try to answer the questions you have posed but I must stress I am not in a position to act as a consultant or system designer and can only offer this limited help.

Warning Sticker requirement -
yes required on the gas compartment to be compliant with BS3632, BS4626 or BS4989

Gas Locker –
must be 20 minute fire resistant to BS476-8, so metallic would appear sensible. Internal housings must have a sealed access and contain no more than 2 x 16kg cylinders. External housings must only be accessible from the outside of the vehicle and be totally sealed from the inside. Please note that ventilation standards apply to the compartment.

Drop out vents –
can be installed if properly designed (no danger of being blocked) and can form part of the low level ventilation. They are a requirement under gas fridges

Hoses –
it is a recommendation only to change at five years - hoses should be regularly checked for wear or damage and changed as necessary.

Test certificates –
certainly required on hire/commercial vehicles at a maximum of 12 month intervals, no requirement on private vehicles but probably needed for insurance purposes, also the appliances should be serviced annually so it would be advisable.

Hope this helps.
With regards - John Douglas technical assistant
www.calor.co.uk
Flogas are also on the button and keen to help on 22nd March
Flogas said:
Dear Mick,

Q1 - LPG sticker on the back of the vehicle
A1 - Not required in the UK unless the vehicle is going to be hired out or used for commercial use, but I would advise a small sign on the outside of the gas compartment door.

Q2 - LPG cylinder/s in a sealed locker
A2 - The cylinders/s should be in a compartment that is sealed from the inside of the vehicle.

Q3 - Gas locker to be lined with metal
A3 - The gas compartment should have a degree of fire resistance, other fire resistant materials can be used, however most have low mechanical strength or a difficult to seal

Q4 - Drop out vents
A4 - The cylinder compartment must be provided with ventilation communicating with the outside air – as LPG is heavier than air this should be of a larger area at the bottom.

Q5 - Replacement of rubber hose every 5 years
A5 - Hoses have a recommended 5 year life – will need to be changed every 5 years if the vehicle is going to be hired out or used for commercial use, not changing the hoses every 5 years may invalidate vehicle insurance.

Q6 - Is there a maximum quantity of LPG permitted to be carried in camper van
A6 - There is no set maximum, however consideration should be given to not carrying more than necessary and the weight of the cylinders (which will almost certainly be to one side of the vehicle).

Q7 - Annual Gas Safe certificate required
A7 - This will not be required unless the vehicle is going to be hired out or used for commercial use – the insurance company may require an initial inspection by a ‘Gas Safe’ engineer.

I would advise consideration be given to the installation of a vapour supply fixed tank (like an Autogas tank), this can be installed under the vehicle and can have a remote filling point and contents gauge.

Kind regards
John
Senior Technical Compliance Manager
Flogas UK Ltd
And finally SoCal on 20th March

SoCal said:
Mick - answers below after the questions!
Hope this helps.
Regards Charles
Charles Ramseyer
Socal
(Southampton Calor Gas Centre Ltd)
www.socal.co.uk

LPG sticker on the back of the vehicle [Charles ] good idea but no mandatory

LPG cylinder/s in a sealed locker [Charles ] Locker needs to be vented to allow leaks to escape

Gas locker to be lined with metal[Charles ] Agian good idea but not mandatory, can use fibreglass (should have 1/2 hour fire resistancy.

Drop out vents[Charles ] Locker should vent out from underneath

Replacement of rubber hose every 5 years [Charles ] Yes

Is there a maximum quantity of LPG permitted to be carried in camper van[Charles ] No

Annual Gas Safe certificate required[Charles ] Only if used commercially or if insurance company insist.
Thanks

Mick

BIG Thank you to CALOR , SoCal and Flogas for some considered responses.

But ... there you have it …. even those in the know have some difference of opinion.

Whats important if you ask me ……. Get a Gas Safe certificate regardless of insurance requirements… I have.

First thing the Gas Safe guy asked me before even coming to see the van was “have you got any drop out vents ?” and “ how many ? “

Good luck folks :gl

Cheers

Mick

PS .... late edit .....

Something I should have added to to above post .....

Gas Safe (the new CORGI) engineers need to be specifically qualified for LPG instalations.... most of yer regular domestic Gas Safe plumbers are only qualified for natural gas

Check 'em out on http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Mick

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi I am a gas safe registered engineer I hadn't renewed my lpg as not any real need for it but due to work dying off have decided to re do my lpg which I did yesterday so I will be up to speed by end of next week I am hoping to make it to bude so if anyone wishes to have a safety check and receive a certificate I will do a few even if I can't make it for weekend will try to come down and do some checks anyway I will charge £20 per vehicle pm me if interested
Also to add to finding an engineer with lpg they must also be qualified to work on leisure vehicles not just have lpg

#8 ·
How quick do you need one ?as going through Hampshire to Devon at the begining of next month.

#11 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum, found you through a link on the demountablecampergroup.com forum.
I have a Tischer demountable camper on a VW Amarok.
I've tried to get hold of Damon to see if he can carry out a gas check for me but his mail box is overflowing.
I've tried the Gas Safe register - nobody in my area (west Wales) seems to be either qualified or interested.

Anyone know of a qualified, mobile gas engineer who can do this or, failing that, someone not too far away we can go to?

Be grateful for some help.

Chris

#12 ·
I could do it but Wales is a bit far for me.. resitting most of my assessments this month :( make sure that whoever you find has lpglav on there gas safe ID card

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.