VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

What cable for 12v sockets? Will 2 core and 20amp do?

8K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  blazin-saddles 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Am planning on fitting 2 x 12v sockets on each side of the van in the C pillar. These will be used for charging phones, laptops, DVD players, cameras etc. etc. and maybe a small Waeco fridge (max draw 3amps).

Will dual core 20amp cable do the job or should I be looking for something else?

Leisure batt will be located under dual passenger seat with cables running up B pillar to roof and then down either side. Each set of 2 sockets will be fused.

Thanks in advance for guidance with this!

:ILU:

#2 ·
Well, max wattage for most cigar type sockets is 180w, which at 12v is 15amp. I'd go over on the cable to say 20 or 25amp (1.5-2mm2) if it's a short run or 28amp (2.5mm2) for a longer run and drop a 15 amp fuse in.

You should spec the cable to the max load that COULD be plugged in rather than will be plugged in. You sure only 3amp for a fridge? sounds very low.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply blazin-saddles,

Being a bit new to the electrics side of stuff would single core cable do or do I need at least dual core or even triple core? Sorry if this is a bit of a silly question but I have no idea what 12v sockets require?!

The Waeco coolbox style fridge/freezer does not draw too much as I used to have one in my T4.

Thanks

#4 ·
You'll need 2 cores to make it work, 1 live (to the + battery term via a fuse) and 1 neutral/earth (to - battery term or chassis if you have common earth) I find it easier to just buy singles in the right size, so 2 single cores 1 black/blue and 1 red/brown.

Not saying you're wrong on the fridge front, just 3 amp (36w) sounds very low consumption for a fridge, is it an electric coolbox maybe?

#5 ·
Thanks again for the advice blazin-saddles. T:

It is described as a "portable compressor cooler for refrigeration and deep-freezing". Spec here states:

Gross capacity: approx. 18 litres
Voltage: 12/24 volts DC
Power input: approx. 35 watts
Average running time: 10% at +20°C ambient temperature,
18% at +32°C ambient temperature,
both at +5°C interior temperature
Current consumption: Power input x average running time
Temperature range: +10°C to -18°C, continuously variable via electronic thermostat

http://www.waeco.com/en/3122_6008.php?hirID=284&sprID=2&artOrigID=40443

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.